A Coast Guard crew that is homeported in Newport was among those responders who saved two fishermen Thursday after their vessel’s engine room caught fire in Nantucket Sound, according to officials from U.S. Coast Guard 1st District Northeast.
The Coast Guard Cutter Oak, a 225-foot Aids-to-Navigation buoy tender that is homeported in Newport, answered the call for help from the captain of the 41-foot fishing vessel, Jupiter, when they sent out a call for assistance over VHF Ch. 16 at about 8:50 a.m.
Simultaneously, a commercial aircraft informed the watchstanders at First Coast Guard District command center that they saw smoke coming from a fishing vessel.
Within five minutes, the Oak’s small boat crew launched and arrived on-scene with fire extinguishers to help the fishermen put out the fire.
A 42-foot boat crew from Station Chatham and a Hyannis Fire Boat crew arrived on scene to assist. The Fire Marshal inspected the vessel to make sure there was no chance of reflashing, before the Chatham boat crew put the Jupiter in tow to bring back to Hyannis Harbor.
“While Aids-to-Navigation is our bread and butter, the Oak is a multi-mission platform,” said Lt. j. g. Stephen Nolan, the operations officer for the Oak. “It’s not everyday we have the opportunity to save lives.”
No injuries were reported and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
The Coast Guard Cutter Oak crew services over 100 buoys in New England.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)