The following op-ed was written and submitted by David Allard, Democratic candidate for Rhode Island Senate District 13.
Work Here, Live Here
One of the values that was instilled in me from an early age was the value of work. My father recently celebrated 50 years in the Laborer’s Union; his job was important to our family, and the powerful example of him going to work day in and day out continues to be one of the key influences in my life. I’m sure that many of us have similar stories about family members who taught us by their example.
Unfortunately, many people here in district 13 and all over Rhode Island cannot find jobs and are being forced to relocate. New graduates are forced to leave our state and people remain unemployed or underemployed. And we run the risk of falling behind on jobs in the new economy.
This needs to change—we need to create jobs in this district that offer people the opportunity to live and work here.
One of the many things I admire about President Pavia-Weed is her commitment to the transformation of the City’s North End, now known as the Knowledge District. I share that commitment, which for her as for me, is born out of a desire to create new jobs for our residents, breathe new life into an under-utilized area of the city, and to give Newport a winning platform for economic prosperity. The potent combination of the city and the state working collaboratively to create this district will yield dividends particularly for our younger residents who seek employment opportunities in the city in which they live.
As the old truism goes, a rising tide lifts all boats. In the same way, creating jobs will benefit all of the constituents in our district. I think about my father’s example, and it inspires me to work hard in my endeavors. Should I have the privilege of representing this district in the General Assembly, I will work with the business community, state and local government, and the constituents of Newport and Jamestown to bring good jobs to this district and keep them here.
Candidate for Rhode Island Senate District 13
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Get Lost! “Six Picks” Corn Mazes in Newport County and Beyond
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21