The Newport Police Department has released a statement in regards to an incident that took place on Monday where a child was offered a ride home from a stranger.

“Newport Police has learned of a series of Social Media posts that have generated concern amongst parents of school-aged children. On April 3, 2017 a 9-year-old boy, who had just exited his school bus in the area of Bliss Rd and Gibbs Ave, was asked if he needed a ride home while carrying a large musical instrument,” the statement says.

What’sUpNewp had received several calls and e-mails from concerned parents regarding the incident.

After a thorough review, Newport Police Department says they are confident that there is no threat to the public at this time. They ask that the public report any suspicious activity to the police and for parents to use this isolated incident to remind their children regarding the dangers of accepting rides from strangers.

“The child in question did all the right things and was never in any danger,” the statement from Newport Police Department concludes.

The Latest From WUN

Ryan Belmore has been the Owner & Publisher of What's Up Newp since 2012. He also currently works for Mountain News, where he serves as Senior Editor - North America for OnTheSnow. He previously worked for the New England Patriots and American Cancer Society. He currently serves as Vice President of Fort Adams Trust and is a member of Local Independent Online News (LION) Publishers and North American Snowsports Journalists Association (NASJA).