Our site doesn’t have a paywall and all of our content and newsletters are always free to read.
Instead, reader support and advertising from local businesses power our locally owned, independent newsroom. If you like what we do, a contribution of $8/month means more than you’d think, and any amount helps.
The following items of business will go before the Newport City Council at its regular meeting to be held on March 8, 2017, at 6:30 p.m. at Newport City Hall.
This is a preview of the agenda, when the full agenda (with attachments) is uploaded, we will link to it here.
COUNCIL LIAISON UPDATES
1. CONSENT CALENDAR. (THE CONSENT CALENDAR IS APPROVED IN ITS ENTIRETY UNLESS THE COUNCIL REMOVES AN ITEM FOR DISCUSSION. ALL LICENSES ARE GRANTED SUBJECT TO COMPLIANCE WITH ORDINANCES #31-80 AND #98-40.)
a. Special Event Licenses:
1) Newport Saint Patrick’s Day Parade Committee, d/b/a Saint Patrick’s Day Family Event, Martin Recreation Center “The Hut”; March 11, 2017 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
2) Green Bridge Sportsman Association, d/b/a Game Dinner, Fenner Hall, 15 Fenner Ave.; March 25, 2017 from noon to 5:30 p.m.
3) Newport Elks Lodge, d/b/a Comedy Show, Newport Elks Lodge; April 1, 2017 from 7:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.Docket of the Council Meeting
4) Newport Elks Lodge, d/b/a CD Release Party, Newport Elks Lodge; April 15, 2017 from 8:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
5) St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church, d/b/a Hellenic Fest, St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church; July 28, 2017 from 4:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m., July 29, 2017 from noon to 11:00 p.m. and July 30, 2017 from noon to 6:00 p.m.
6) Newport Festivals Foundation, Inc., d/b/a Newport Jazz Festival Opening Night, International Tennis Hall of Fame; August 4, 2017 from 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
7) Eileen Daffron, d/b/a Come Alive Gospel Music Fest, King Park Gazebo; August 19, 2017 from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
b. Food Concession License, St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church, d/b/a Hellenic Fest, St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church; July 28, 2017 from 4:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m., July 29, 2017 from noon to 11:00 p.m. and July 30, 2017 from noon to 6:00 p.m.
c. Pawnbroker License, Renewal, Spindle City Pawnbrokers, Inc., d/b/a Fall River Pawnbrokers, 128 Broadway
d. 2017 Holiday Selling License Renewals (list attached)
e. 2017 Second-hand License Renewals (list attached)
f. Private Detective License, Renewal, Brian Cartwright, d/b/a Coastal Investigation Group, 433 Thames St. Unit A
g. Private Detective License, Renewal, Ryan McCormack, d/b/a Coastal Investigation Group, 433 Thames St. Unit A
h. Holiday Selling Licenses, New:
1. JB Hopkins, LLC, d/b/a Balance on Thames, 429 Thames St.
2. The Isherwood Company, d/b/a Laura Jean, 198 Bellevue Ave.
3. Satori, LLC, d/b/a Newport Silver Company, 337 Thames St. Unit O
4. Scooter World, LLC, d/b/a Scooter World, 8 Fair St.
i. Communication from CRMC, re: Application of the Town of Middletown for a State of Rhode Island Assent- Third Beach Rd. Area (Receive)
j. Communication from CRMC, re: File 2016-11-075, ASC Realty, LCC, Public Notice- Extension from March 14, 2017 to March 28, 2017 (Receive)
k. Communication from Chuck Flippo, re: Resignation from the Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Commission (Receive with regret)
l. Communication from Bart Grimes, re: Resignation from the Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Commission (Receive with regret)
LICENSES & PERMITS
2. Annual Entertainment License Class A (Indoors), New, Emmanuel Church, 42 Dearborn St. (Second Hearing) COMMUNICATIONS AND PETITIONS
3. APPOINTMENTS TO BOARDS & COMMISSIONS Note: Vacancies currently or soon will exist on the following Boards and Commissions: Accessibility Advisory Committee, Waste Water and Storm Water Improvements Committee, Affirmative Action Commission, Beach Commission, Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Commission, Energy and Environment Commission, Finance Review Committee, Harbor Walk Commission, Historic District Commission, Planning Board, Trust and Investment Commission, Tree and Open Space Commission, Waterfront Commission, Zoning Board of Review
Appointments: Trust and Investment Commission- Reappointment of Ron Becker
4. Requesting the R.I. General Assembly to reimburse municipalities for any lost revenues resulting from proposed changes in the car tax – J. Napolitano, K. Leonard
5. Requesting the City Administration to draft an ordinance requiring merchants to pick up cigarette litter – L. Ceglie, J. Florez, S. Taylor, J. Napolitano, K. Leonard (Continued from February 22, 2017)
6. Adopting the Plastic Bag ordinance and implementation plan – L. Ceglie,
S. Taylor, J. Bova, J. Florez (Continued from February 22, 2017)
7. Amending Title 8 of the Codified Ordinances, entitled, “Health and Safety” to add section 8.32, which will ban the use of single use plastic bags (Second Reading)
8. Amending Chapter 12.32.010 of the Codified Ordinances, entitled, “Closing Hours of parks and beaches generally” (First Reading)
COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY MANAGER
9. Action Item #5622/17 re: Award of Bid # 17-003 – Nonquit Pond Dam Repairs (w/accompanying resolution)
10. Action Item #5623/17 re: Award of Bid #17-041 – Catch Basin Separation Project (w/accompanying resolution)
11. Action Item #5624/17 re: Amendment #1- Contract #15-068 – Engineering Services for Catch Basin Separation Project-2017 (w/accompanying resolution)
12. Action Item #5625/17 re: Award of Contract – RFP 17-042 – Janitorial and Cleaning Services(w/accompanying resolution)
13. Action Item #5626/17 re: 2016 Port Security Grant Fire/Rescue/CBRNE
Boat: Award of Contract (w/accompanying resolution)
ADJOURN AS COUNCIL AND CONVENE AS BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS