A multi-vehicle accident occurred on the Newport Pell Bridge around 11:30 a.m. on Saturday.
This story is developing, updates will be posted below.
12:27 p.m. – The bridge is reopened to traffic in both directions
12:21 p.m. – Crash cleared on RI 138 WB at RI-138-Newport Br in Newport
12:08 p.m. – A reader has notified us that “traffic around the rotary is jammed. Backed up past Walmart and no one is really moving.”
11:51 a.m. – Rhode Island State Police has closed the Newport Bridge in both directions due to multi-vehicle accident westbound.
11:34 a.m. – There has been an accident on the westbound side of the Newport Bridge, according to Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority. RITBA is urging drivers to drive with caution. Rhode Island Department of Transportation is reporting that the right lane on the westbound side of the bridge is blocked.
Updates to follow…
The Latest From WUN
- Newport woman is first-ever female to win Citizens Pell Bridge Run
- What’s Up This Week: Heart & Sole Walk for Animals, Full Moon Bike ride, The Exorcist, & more
- Newport Garden Club to host a talk by ‘The Seedhuntress’
- Changing seasons, changing exhibits at Little Compton Historical Society
- ‘Rock The Mansion’ raises more than $150,000 for Newport Mental Health