The sun was set on Sunday, March 5, 2017 when Manuel R. Peters III, age 79, of Portsmouth passed away surrounded by his family at Philip Hulitar Inpatient Center of Providence, RI.
The sunrise came on May 7, 1937 when Manuel was born in Middletown, RI. He was the son of the late Manuel R. and the late Maria (Silvia) Peters, Jr. He was the husband of the late Elaine (Berube) Peters.
Manuel Peters was a farmer all his life. He was a lifelong dairy farmer who loved all animals, big and small, any animal he came in contact with was always welcomed and fed.
He is survived by one sister Marie “Emily” Ney of Middletown, RI and one brother George R. Peters of Somerset, MA. He leaves two step daughters, Doris Silvia of Tiverton and Delores Furtado of Falmouth, MA, and three grandsons. He also leaves many nieces and nephews.
He was the brother of the late Joseph Peters.
All services are private. Burial will be in the family lot at St. Columba Cemetery.
Memorial donations may be made to the Robert Potter League, P.O. Box 412, Middletown, Rhode Island 02842, or to the Portsmouth Rescue Wagon Fund, P.O. Box 806, Portsmouth, Rhode Island 02871.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)