The Discovery, the movie filmed in Newport during the spring of 2016, is scheduled to be released on Friday, March 31st at 3:00 am.
Starring Robert Redford, Jason Segel and Rooney Mara, the movie was filmed on the campus of Salve Regina University, Newport Hospital, Fort Adams, Third Beach, Ocean Drive and in several other locations throughout Newport, Rhode Island.
Netflix acquired global rights to the film, written and directed by Charlie McDowell in June, 2016.
“In a world where the afterlife has just been scientifically proven—resulting in millions of people taking their own lives to get there—comes this love story,” the official movie description states.
More than 400 people joined the film crew, director and some of the cast at Jane Pickens Theater last week for a special screening of The Discovery. Those lucky enough to be in attendance were treated to a q&a with Segel and McDowell after the film. The two men shared several times during the q&a their fondness for Newport, at one point Segel said he wished that their entire media tour for Newport “could be in Newport.”
The movie first premiered at the Sundance Film Festival on January 20, 2017.
Click Here To Watch on Netflix
Official Trailer for The Discovery:
- March 21, 2017 – Jason Segel Attends Screening of ‘The Discovery’ at Jane Pickens Theater on Monday Night
- January 19, 2017 –Official Trailer For ‘The Discovery’ Released, Will Premiere This Week at 2017 Sundance Film Festival
- June 14, 2016 –Netflix Acquires Movie Filmed in Newport, ‘The Discovery’ Will Premiere on Netflix and in Select Theaters in the US in 2017
- April 23, 2016 –PHOTOS: Governor Raimondo and State Leaders Visit set of “The Discovery” in Newport
- April 5, 2016 –Newport Hospital Used in Filming of ‘The Discovery’ with Jason Segel, Robert Redford and Rooney Mara
- March 8, 2016 –Robert Redford, Rooney Mara and Jason Segel To Film ‘The Discovery’ on Aquidneck Island