Joy Goodrich was selected as the Naval Station Newport Spouse of the Year® on February 13th and on February 24th she was named the branch winner for Navy Spouse of the Year®. One last vote will take place on March 2nd –– for 24 hours –– to name the overall Armed Forces Insurance Military Spouse of the Year®.
“At Military Spouse Magazine, we are honored to give a voice for these amazing spouses to share their commitment, dedication and sacrifice,” said Suzie Schwartz, President of Military Spouse Programs. “Each 2017 Armed Forces Insurance Military Spouse of Year® Branch winner is striving to improve the lives of others in their communities. Their work, efforts and messages are truly inspiring and simply outstanding.”
The Military Spouse of the Year® program represents millions of past and present military spouses who dedicate their lives and families to service of a grateful nation and give back to communities in need. This year’s contest began with more than 1,000 nominations across all military branches, and nearly 70,000 votes have been cast so far.
To read more about Joy’s military journey visit http://msoy.militaryspouse.com/contestants/joy-goodrich/ and to cast your vote for her visit http://msoy.militaryspouse.com/vote.
“Our nation’s military spouses are ‘the’ most valuable unpaid individuals within the umbrella of the Department of Defense,” said Garry L. Parks, Lieutenant General, U.S. Marine Corps (Ret.), Chairman, Armed Forces Insurance. “Being a military spouse requires a special kind of strong, independent and dedicated individual. This incredibly supportive group directly bolsters military forces around the globe. Beyond the love they exude for their serviceman or woman, the military spouse may be confronted with the need to raise children as a single parent, manage the home front during lengthy deployments, repair a broken washing machine and/or represent the family at a PTA meeting. Armed Forces Insurance wishes to applaud the many contributions of ALL who competed. Our nation’s Armed Forces is unquestionably stronger because of your selfless support!”
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13