The 61st Annual Newport Saint Patrick’s Day Parade will be held, rain, snow, or shine, on Saturday, March 11th, 2017. It will begin promptly at 11:00am from Newport City Hall and will proceed to Carroll Avenue at Saint Augustin’s Church in the heart of the Fifth Ward. The parade this year is estimated to last 2 hours.
Traffic will be congested in the downtown area from about 9:00AM to 3:00PM. Parking will be limited. The parade participants will be begin staging on Lower Broadway at about 9:00am, so it is recommended that people coming to Newport to view the parade avoid Broadway. The two best routes into the city with available public parking are: Westbound on Memorial Blvd, right onto Bellevue Ave. (northbound), left on Church St. and right into the Waterfront Parking lot (situated between Church and Mary St.) Farewell St. South to America’s Cup Ave., and right into the Gateway parking garage.
Parking is prohibited on the following streets from 5:00AM to 3:00PM. All vehicles parked in restricted areas will be ticketed and towed at the owner’s expense.
No parking areas along the parade route are:
- Broadway from Cranston/Equality Park West to Washington Square
- Equality Park Place and Equality Park West
- Dr. Marcus F. Wheatland Boulevard (West side)
- Bull Street at Spring Street
- Spring Street at Bull Street
- Washington Square from Broadway to Thames Street
- Thames Street from America’s Cup Avenue to Morton Avenue
- Carroll Avenue from Morton Avenue to Harrison Avenue
- Both sides of America’s Cup Avenue at the Gateway Center
- Narragansett Avenue between Spring Street and Bellevue Avenue
During this year’s parade the Newport Police Department will be strictly enforcing City Ordinances (open containers of alcohol in public, noise violations, disorderly conduct, and underage drinking) along the parade route and the surrounding areas. The Police Department will have a strong presence to make this a fun, safe and family friendly event.
- Southbound Broadway diverted onto Marcus Wheatland Blvd southbound at Equality Park.
- Spring St northbound diverted away from Broadway and up Bull St. to Kay St
- Westbound Memorial Blvd West diverted northbound on Thames St at the Post Office
- Northbound Thames St diverted away from America’s Cup up Mill St to Spring St.
The Latest From WUN
- Newport Garden Club to host a talk by ‘The Seedhuntress’
- Changing seasons, changing exhibits at Little Compton Historical Society
- ‘Rock The Mansion’ raises more than $150,000 for Newport Mental Health
- Obituary: Grace Elaine Kinnunen
- Tony® Award-Winning Musical “Million Dollar Quartet” coming to Boston’s Boch Center October 29th + 30th