On Monday, February 20th the Newport Distilling Company will host its fourth annual Thomas Tew Rum Cocktail contest at The Revolving Door Restaurant as a part of the 2017 Newport Winter Festival celebration! The competition will begin promptly at 9 pm. Entry is $5 per person/free with a Winter Fest bracelet and there will be cocktail samples provided for the 21+ crowd. All proceeds from the entry fee will benefit The Maher Center.
In 2006 Newport Distilling Co. became the first licensed distillery in Rhode Island in 135 years, resurrecting the rum of the 18th century, now called Thomas Tew, after the Rhode Island Pirate and resident of Newport. Thomas Tew Rum is inspired by the craftsmanship of a passed time. Like the rums made when Newport, RI was the rum capital of the world two centuries ago, it is created slowly in a small pot still to replicate the rum which would have been produced by those distillers. The still, along with the black-strap molasses, temperate climate, and local water combine to create a spirit that hasn’t been available for over a century. One sip of this flavorful, aged rum and you’ll wonder how this tradition could have ever disappeared.
The Revolving Door Restaurant, known for its rotation of world renowned and aspiring chefs, also has a deep rooted interest in the revival of Newport’s potent history. The Revolving Door embraces Newport’s rum-runner past and has made itself into the go-to location for rum lovers both near and far. Located in the heart of downtown Newport, The Revolving Door has a very intimate atmosphere that will give you the opportunity to educate and interact with judges and guests alike.
Those interested in competing can fill out this contest form. Applications will be accepted until February 15th at which time 6 contestants will be selected to compete. Accepted contestants will be contacted on Feb 17th. Let the spirit of Thomas Tew shine through and inspire your hand-crafted cocktail that highlights the unique and historical distilling elements found in Newport and Thomas Tew Authentic Pot Still Rum.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts