The Newport Police Department announced on Tuesday afternoon that they will need to close Thames Street on Tuesday evening.
“Due to unforeseen circumstances Thames Street will be closed tonight, 02/28/17, starting at 8 pm. between Memorial Blvd and Young Street. National Grid Gas will be conducting repairs to the gas main on Thames Street requiring the closure of the roadway. Police officers will be posted at the intersection of Memorial Blvd at Thames Street detouring traffic eastbound up Memorial Blvd,” a press release from Newport Police Department announced.
Anyone needing access to Thames Street businesses or homes between Memorial Blvd and Young Street will be allowed through by officers on the scene when informed by motorist of their destination.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13