Marie Therese Sullivan, 90, passed away on Monday, February 6, 2017 at the Village House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Newport. She was the wife of the late Frank D. Sullivan Jr.
A lifelong Newporter and native Fifth Warder, she was born on June 2, 1926, and was the daughter of the late John J and Mary (Nunes) Murphy.
A communicant of St Augustin’s Church, she also attended St Augustin’s Elementary School. Upon graduating from St Catherine’s Academy, she was initially employed as a switchboard operator at New England Telephone on Spring Street. After raising a family, she went back to work at the switchboard for Newport Hospital, then as a receptionist for Lockheed Martin in Middletown.
She liked listening to the big band music of Glen Miller, Tommy Dorsey and Benny Goodman, summers at First Beach in the ‘50’s, and attending many parties and family functions at the North End Club. She also loved all things Irish, especially the annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade and Rick Kelly’s “The Irish Hours” on WADK.
She is survived by her six children, Michael D. Sullivan (Nancy) of Lincoln, RI, Paul F. Sullivan (Carol) of Portsmouth, Daniel P. Sullivan (Kathleen), of Middletown, Robert J. Sullivan (Renie) of Newport, Linda M. Lalli (Thomas) of Middletown and Frank D. Sullivan III (Lisa) of Middletown.
She also leaves 14 grandchildren and 10 great grandchildren, and is pre-deceased by her brothers John and Joseph Murphy.
Visiting hours are respectfully omitted. A Mass of Christian Burial will be on Friday, Feb. 10, 2017 at St. Mary’s Church, Spring St., Newport at 9:30am. Burial at St. Columba Cemetery in Middletown. In lieu of flowers, please send donations to St. Augustin’s Building Fund, PO Box 357, Newport, RI 02840-0306.
Funeral arrangements by the O’Neill-Hayes Funeral Home. For more information or online condolences, please visit www.oneillhayes.com
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now