Joseph A. Werner, 71, of Portsmouth passed away Saturday, February 4, 2017 at Newport Hospital. He was the beloved husband of Beverly (Jordan) Werner for 38 years.
Born in Wymondham, England, he was the son of the late Joseph and Dorothy (Hull) Werner.
Joseph served honorably in the US Navy, employed by General Electric for 13 years, and retired after 32 years of working as a welder for Electric Boat, Quonset Point in 2014.
He enjoyed fishing and hunting with family and friends and was a life time member at Tiverton Rod & Gun Club. He often cooked the catch of the day using his own recipes and was quick to share his bounties with all of his friends and family.
In addition to his wife, Beverly, he is survived by three children, Jeffrey Werner and his wife Stacy of Warwick, Craig Werner and his wife Lisa of Maine, and Stephanie Werner and her significant other Jesse Dansereau of Oregon; his three grandchildren, Oliver Werner, Lilly Werner and Tavian LeClaire. Joseph is also survived by his sisters Deb Miller, Cindy Werner, Dolly Werner, Midge Childs, Becky Werner, Sandy Lavin, and brother Ronny Werner of Pennsylvania. Joe was also the brother of the late James, Thomas, Susan, and Linda Werner.
Visiting hours will be Friday, February 10, 2017 at the Connors Funeral Home & Cremation Services, 55 West Main Road Portsmouth, RI 02871 from 4-7 p.m.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso