Here is what’s happening for road work, closures and detours in and around Newport, RI this week.
Roadwork scheduled by Rhode Island Department Of Transportation: 2/18-2/24
Newport: Gladys Carr Bolhouse Rd. (Goat Island Causeway) East and West, from Washington St. to Goat Island Rd., alternating one-way traffic with a partial right lane closure for a bridge inspection, Tuesday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Newport: In order to accommodate construction work at the Newport Transportation and Visitors Center, motorists will experience a right lane closure on America’s Cup Ave., from Gladys Carr Bolhouse Rd. to West Marlborough St., through June 2017. RIPTA has designated temporary bus stop locations along America’s Cup Avenue since the Visitors’ Center boarding area will be closed for the duration of the project. For more information, please visit https://www.ripta.com/newport-gateway-center
Roadwork scheduled by Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority: 2/19-25
Newport Pell Bridge: Eastbound Lane Closure- 2/22- 8 am to 11 am – 2/23- 9 am to 5 pm Westbound Right Lane Closure- 2/22 and 2/24- 7 am to 3 pm
Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge: Rolling Lane Closure- 2/22- 8 am to 2 pm
Route 138 Connector: There are currently no Lane Closures on the Route 138 Connector.
Mount Hope Bridge: Rolling Lane Closure- 2/21- 10 am to 2 pm
Sakonnet River Bridge: There are currently no Lane Closures on the Sakonnet River Bridge.
The schedule is subject to change. Visit RITBA’s Real Time Traffic Updates page for the most current information.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Get Lost! “Six Picks” Corn Mazes in Newport County and Beyond
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21