This story was originally published on February 19, 2017.
No one won the $361 million Powerball jackpot on Saturday night, but someone in Rhode Island is $1 million richer.
The $1 million ticket matched five numbers (03, 07, 09, 31, 33) but not the Powerball (20), according to the Rhode Island Lottery’s website. The location of the sale in Rhode Island was not made public on Sunday.
Update: February 20th via Rhode Island Lottery – A $2,000,000 winning PowerBall® PowerPlay® ticket was sold in Rhode Island for Saturday night’s drawing. The winning ticket matched five numbers, but not the PowerBall® number, to win the standard payout of $1,000,000. However, the winner opted to pay an additional dollar on his/her wager for the PowerPlay® feature, which increased the prize to $2,000,000. Pleasant View Market, 200 Pleasant View Ave., Smithfield, sold the winning ticket.
There were at nine $1 million tickets sold, the Powerball is played in 44 states, Washington D.C., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
With no big winner, the jackpot for Wednesday’s drawing will be worth at least $403 million with a cash option of $243.9 million. The overall projection would make it among the top 10 largest jackpots in U.S. lottery history.
In March of 2012, Louise White of Newport stepped forward to claim $336.4 million, at the time it was the third largest Powerball win in the history of the game.
More from What’s Up Newp
- 23 Open Houses to check out in Newport County this weekend
- Obituary: Eileen Schultz English
- Obituary: Joseph R Casale
- Gerry Goldstein: Horse sense from a cowboy philosopher
- Opinion: Lucy’s Hearth needs the community’s support now more than ever
- National Grid making progress in restoration efforts
- Celtic Woman’s “Postcards From Ireland” arriving at Mohegan Sun Arena on March 18, 2022
- What’s Up This Weekend: Salve Fall Festival Weekend, Halloween Hilarity, Trunk or Treat, and more
- Opinion – Rep. Carson: High stakes of appropriate coastal management
- Edward King House to serve as a new drop-off site for Meals on Wheels