John DePetro took to the Newport airwaves for the first time on Wednesday at 1 p.m., about 24 hours after his announcement that Newport would be the new home for The John DePetro Show.
Following the announcement on Tuesday, several residents and opponents quickly started to call for a boycott of the station and its advertisers on Facebook and NextDoor, set up a Facebook Page (Get John DePetro Off WADK) and called both the radio station and advertisers to file complaints.
Opponents of DePetro shared a list what they reportedly say are station advertisers and asked for those that oppose to DePetro to call the advertisers and tell them to pull their media buys, on Wednesday afternoon opponents claimed a small victory when they claimed People’s Credit Union had pulled all their advertising dollars from the station.
After Mayor Winthrop called into The John DePetro Show to welcome John to Newport on Wednesday afternoon, residents used the Citizen’s Forum at the Newport City Council Meeting to share their opinion on DePetro in Newport and asked for the Mayor and City Council to not support him in Newport.
If the video is unavailable below, it can also be seen here.
Not everyone hates that DePetro is now in Newport, there were at least seven comments on the station’s Facebook Page that showed excitement and approval that the show was back on the air and here in Newport. Many others from around the state shared similar messages on Twitter.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)