Attorney General Peter F. Kilmartin announced that Raymond Ramsey (age 51), of Portsmouth, RI, pleaded guilty today before Superior Court Justice Stephen P. Nugent to the September 8, 2015 murder of his girlfriend, 42-year-old Yolanda McArdle.  Under the terms of the plea, Ramsey was sentenced to life in prison for the charge of second degree murder domestic and 10 years, to serve concurrent, for the charge of violating a no contact order.

Had the case proceeded to trial, the State was prepared to prove that on September 8, 2015, Ramsey stabbed McArdle multiple times, causing her death.
At approximately 10:30 p.m. on the September 8, 2015, the Portsmouth Police received a phone call from an individual who lived downstairs from the defendant and victim in the apartment complex located at 100 Almeida Terrace.  The neighbor reported hearing loud noises from the apartment directly above hers.

Portsmouth Police responded to the apartment complex to investigate.  When a police officer knocked on the apartment door, the defendant partially opened the door. The police officer observed a large amount of blood on the defendant and on the floor of the apartment.  He also observed a female, later identified as the victim, lying motionless and covered in blood on a nearby bed.

The defendant was transported to Rhode Island Hospital for treatment for what appeared to be stab wounds to his chest and right hand.  While being transported to the hospital, and multiple times while being treated at Rhode Island Hospital, the defendant stated his wounds were self-inflicted and that he had murdered Ms. McArdle.

An autopsy conducted by the Rhode Island Medical Examiner’s Office determined that Ms. McArdle sustained 11 stab wounds to her body.

“This is another tragic case of domestic violence escalating to murder.  Unfortunately, it happens all too often.  I hope that anyone who is in an abusive relationship sees this as a wakeup call that it can happen to them and seek help from law enforcement, domestic violence outreach organizations, and family to safely escape the violence,” said Attorney General Kilmartin.

Portsmouth Police Officer Kyle Hurley was first on the scene and the investigation was led by Portsmouth Police Detectives Michael Morse and A.J. Bucci.  Special Assistant Attorney General Ania Zielinski and Assistant Attorney General Roger Demers prosecuted the case on behalf of the Office of Attorney General.

The Latest From WUN

Ryan Belmore has been the Owner & Publisher of What's Up Newp since 2012. He also currently works for Mountain News, where he serves as Senior Editor - North America for OnTheSnow. He previously worked for the New England Patriots and American Cancer Society. He currently serves as Vice President of Fort Adams Trust and is a member of Local Independent Online News (LION) Publishers and North American Snowsports Journalists Association (NASJA).