Virginia W. Mendonca, 100, passed away at home in Portsmouth on January 2, 2017. Born in Middletown, she was the daughter of the late Francisco L. and Maria (Perreira) Mendonca.
Miss Mendonca worked for the Harrington Bakery in Newport and went onto work for her brother Tony at the former Mendonca Nurseries. She worked for several years for the Newport Preservation Society at Green Animals and was a devoted and lifelong member of Jesus Saviour Church.
She leaves many nieces and nephews.
She was the sister of the late: Sylvania Rogers, Mary A. Elshant, Frank A. Mendonca, Joseph P. Mendonca, Angelina Cotta, George A. Mendonca, Antone Mendonca and Margaret Mendonca.
Calling hours will be held Friday, January 6, 2016 from 4:00 PM to 8:00PM in the Memorial Funeral Home, 375 Broadway, Newport. Her funeral will be held Saturday at 9:00AM from the funeral home with Mass of Christian Burial at 10:00AM in Jesus Saviour Church, Broadway at Vernon Avenue, Newport, RI.
Donations in her memory may be made to the Jesus Saviour Church, Maintenance Fund, 509 Broadway, Newport, RI 02840
This obituary first appeared on www.memorialfuneralhome.com, it has been republished with permission.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts