Maureen F. (Knowles) LaChance, 63, of Newport died Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at home in Newport.
She was the wife of the late Raymond LaChance.
Born on October 21, 1953 in Detroit, MI, she was the daughter of the late Dr. Richard Robert Knowles and Colleen Patricia (O’Connell) Knowles.
Maureen was an avid reader, gardener, and animal lover. She looked forward to tending her garden every year, and always had an abundance of vegetables and herbs to share. She had the ultimate green thumb, taking plants others would deem beyond saving and nurturing them back to health. Her love of cats was well known and whether she had two or five, she always found room for the occasional stray that showed up at her door. This love of animals also extended to backyard wildlife. She spent time each day watching the wildlife through her kitchen window, logging in her notebook the different birds she saw.
She is survived by her daughter, Regina M. LaChance and her husband Jeremiah Q Nippert of Newport, RI, her siblings Ann E. Knowles of Newport, RI, Richard R. Knowles of Waltham, MA, James P. Knowles of Southborough, MA, and Peter H. Knowles, of Newport, RI.
Calling hours will be held on Sunday January 8, 2017 from 3-6pm in the Memorial Funeral Home, 375 Broadway, Newport, RI.
Her funeral will be held on Monday, January 9, 2017 at 9:00am from the funeral home with a Mass of Christian burial at 10:00am in St. Augustin’s Church, Carroll Avenue, Newport, RI
Burial will be in St. Columba Cemetery, Browns Lane, Middletown, RI.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to The Potter League for Animals, PO Box 412, Newport, RI 02840 or at www.potterleague.org
This obituary first appeared on www.memorialfuneralhome.com, it has been republished with permission.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year
- Home on Chastellux Avenue in Newport sells for $7.1 million