Marjorie Mae Mercer, 93, of Portsmouth, formerly of Roy Ave Middletown, died on Saturday, January 14, 2017 at Newport Hospital in Newport.
Marjorie was born June 26, 1923 in Fall River, MA. She was the daughter of the late Alfred Walton and Frances (Giddins) Walton Pilkington.
Marjorie grew up in Fall River and Roslindale, MA, graduating from Roslindale High School in 1940. She worked at the Naval Undersea Warfare Center (NUWC) and was also a Buyer at the Navy Exchange. She was married to the late William Wade Mercer, Sr. for 27 years.
Marjorie was a parishioner at St. Mary’s Church in Portsmouth and a member of the Edward King Senior Center in Newport.
She is survived by her daughter Patricia Ross and her husband David of East Greenwich, RI and her grandchildren; Lara Mercer; Michelle A. Mercer-Burke and William W. Mercer III, and her great grandchildren, Ryan, Riley, Phoebe and Chloe.
She is predeceased by her son William W. Mercer Jr. and his wife Carole.
Funeral services and burial will be private.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13