John Roland Souza, 89 passed away on Sunday, January 29, 2017 at Miriam Hospital, Providence RI after a brief illness. He is survived by his loving wife Evelyn (Almeida) Souza. They were married 65 ½ years. He is preceded by siblings Mary Augustine, Manuel Souza, Angie Venancio, Emily Myshrall, Madeline Silvia, Jesse Souza, Florence Medeiros, Joseph Souza, Dennis Souza. He leaves 3 sons John P. Souza wife Nancy Correia of Portsmouth, Kenneth J. Souza of Middletown, David S. Souza wife Jayme Nunnery of Portsmouth. He is survived by his 4 grandchildren Melissa, Amanda, David, and Eric Souza. He also leaves many nieces and nephews.
John worked for the U.S. government for 32 years. He then worked at the Newport Naval Station than transferred to Groton, CT sub base to which he retired from Quonset Naval Base in 1982 as a crane operator. He was a lifetime member of the Portuguese American Citizens Club. A lifetime member of the VFW Post 5390.
John enjoyed his trips to Mexico, Portugal-Azores, Canada, and his cabin in New Hampshire. He loved his ball games (Red Sox), gardening, and maintaining his fields.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be held on Saturday, Feb. 4, 2017 at St. Barnabas Church, 1697 East Main Road, Portsmouth, RI at 10am. Visiting hours will be Friday, Feb. 3, 2017 at the O’Neill-Hayes Funeral Home, 465 Spring St., Newport from 4-7pm. Burial St. Columba Cemetery, Middletown, RI.
In lieu of flowers please send a donation to the RI Veterans Home, 480 Metacom Ave, Bristol, RI 02809.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals