John Roland Souza, 89 passed away on Sunday, January 29, 2017 at Miriam Hospital, Providence RI after a brief illness. He is survived by his loving wife Evelyn (Almeida) Souza. They were married 65 ½ years. He is preceded by siblings Mary Augustine, Manuel Souza, Angie Venancio, Emily Myshrall, Madeline Silvia, Jesse Souza, Florence Medeiros, Joseph Souza, Dennis Souza. He leaves 3 sons John P. Souza wife Nancy Correia of Portsmouth, Kenneth J. Souza of Middletown, David S. Souza wife Jayme Nunnery of Portsmouth. He is survived by his 4 grandchildren Melissa, Amanda, David, and Eric Souza. He also leaves many nieces and nephews.
John worked for the U.S. government for 32 years. He then worked at the Newport Naval Station than transferred to Groton, CT sub base to which he retired from Quonset Naval Base in 1982 as a crane operator. He was a lifetime member of the Portuguese American Citizens Club. A lifetime member of the VFW Post 5390.
John enjoyed his trips to Mexico, Portugal-Azores, Canada, and his cabin in New Hampshire. He loved his ball games (Red Sox), gardening, and maintaining his fields.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be held on Saturday, Feb. 4, 2017 at St. Barnabas Church, 1697 East Main Road, Portsmouth, RI at 10am. Visiting hours will be Friday, Feb. 3, 2017 at the O’Neill-Hayes Funeral Home, 465 Spring St., Newport from 4-7pm. Burial St. Columba Cemetery, Middletown, RI.
In lieu of flowers please send a donation to the RI Veterans Home, 480 Metacom Ave, Bristol, RI 02809.
More From What’s Up Newp
- United Way and Women United partner with the community for annual children’s book drive throughout May
- Passim School of Music to honor Bob Dylan ahead of his 80th birthday
- BJ’s Wholesale Club will host a hiring day on May 15, looking to fill 80 open positions across Rhode Island
- Charlestown Seafood Festival returns August 6 – 8
- Barrington home built by golfer Brad Faxon sells for more than $4.5 million