Colleen A. (Phelan) McRoy, 74, of Portsmouth died Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at home surrounded by her family.
She was the wife of Jimmy D. McRoy.
Born on August 7, 1942 in Fall River, MA, she was the daughter of the late Joseph B. and Helen (Malone) Phelan.
Mrs. McRoy was a 1963 graduate of St. Elizabeth Hospital School of Nursing. She went on to serve for four years during the Vietnam War in the US Navy Nurse Corps. Colleen worked as a school nurse in the Fall River Public Schools from 1977 to 1985 and also for the Diocese of Fall River for 10 years as the director of Clinical Services.
Besides her husband of 49 years, she is survived by her sons, Jimmy “Jay” D. McRoy, Jr. of Wisconsin and Kevin P. McRoy and his wife Amy of Fall River, MA, her grandchildren, Jillian, Brendan and Abigail McRoy, her brothers Joseph Phelan and his wife Nancy of Port Orange, FL and Kevin and Mary Phelan of Fall River, MA, several loved nieces and nephews, and her brother Jeffrey Phelan and his wife Marie of Fall River, MA and sister Linda Phelan of Portsmouth, RI. She was also the sister of the late Rosemary Phelan of Canada.
Her funeral will take place on Monday, January 23, 2017, with a Mass of Christian Burial at 10:00am, in St. Anthony’s Catholic Church, 2836 East Main Road, Portsmouth.
Burial will follow in St. Patrick’s Cemetery, Robeson Street, Fall River, MA.
This obituary originally appeared on www.memorialfuneralhome.com, it has been republished with permission.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13