The Middletown Police Department recently received the Silver Traffic Safety Award for 2015 from AAA Northeast, according to a new release issued on January 5th, 2017 from the Middletown Police Department.
This award recognized the efforts of the police department to increase the safety of the nearly 40,000 motorists that travel through Middletown on a daily basis. The department’s program aimed to reduce the number of motor vehicle accidents and speeding motorist which contribute to these accidents. The department used a combination of enforcement techniques which included, the education of driver’s media outlets and message boards, traffic safety grants, aggressive DUI patrols and seatbelt grants.
Officer Christian Orellana was also awarded the Traffic Safety Hero of the Year Award. Officer Orellana was responsible for 10% of the departments impaired driving citations. He achieved this all while being assigned to the late shift which works from 1900 to 0700 hours.
The department also received recognition for not having a pedestrian traffic fatality in thirteen (13) years.
The award ceremony took place on Tuesday, December 6, 2016.
The Latest From WUN
- Tony® Award-Winning Musical “Million Dollar Quartet” coming to Boston’s Boch Center October 29th + 30th
- Gerry Goldstein: For Mercy’s sake, he stood guard through the night
- City of Newport: A portion of the Cliff Walk will be closed on Monday for maintenance
- Newport String Quartet to perform Dvorak, Montgomery, and Tate at St Columba’s
- ‘Normandie’ estate on Ocean Drive sells for $12.5 million