A local resident in the Historic Hill neighborhood reported on NextDoor that at 4:18 a.m. on Tuesday morning that several of her security cameras captured someone in a white hoodie and white painter pants trying to break into her car. Upon her forwarding the surveillance video to the Newport Police Department, Sergeant Jason Kleinknecht of the Newport Police Community Policing Division released the following press release;
Newport Police have received information from a local resident in the Historic Hill area that a suspect attempted to enter their locked vehicle during the early morning hours of 12/13/16, which was captured on surveillance. Newport Police are investigating this incident. During the early morning hours of 12/14/16, Newport Police Officers arrested a person, who was in possession of stolen items from vehicles, in the area of Spring St and Young St. Newport Police would like to remind people to lock their vehicles and homes when left unattended. Please, do not leave valuables in your vehicle in plain sight. Please, report any suspicious activity and suspicious people to the police immediately.
Sergeant Jason Kleinknecht
*** Police Continue their investigation to determine if this subject was the same subject on the surveillance video footage provided this week. With that said, residents are urged to secure their property, cars and belongings. Thanks for the information and assistance on this.
This story will be updated when and if more information is received.
The Latest From WUN
- “Six Picks” Pumpkin Ale – It’s the time of the season
- Holidays at the Newport Mansions returns to The Breakers, Marble House, and The Elms starting November 20
- Oakland Forest in Portsmouth will be inducted into the national Old-Growth Forest Network
- Stop & Shop to hold a one-day career fair at all 27 Rhode Island locations
- RI Music Educators call on state, school districts to fund music & arts education