The newly sworn-in Newport City Council will host their first City Council meeting on December 14th.
The following items of business, filed with the City Clerk under the Rules of the Council, will come before the Council at its regular meeting to be held at 6:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers at Newport City Hall.
CITY OF NEWPORT
DOCKET FOR THE COUNCIL MEETING
DECEMBER 14, 2016
THE MEETING WILL BE HELD IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBERS,
CITY HALL, 43 BROADWAY, NEWPORT, RI
The following items of business, filed with the City Clerk under the Rules of the Council, will come before the Council at its regular meeting to be held on
December 14, 2016, at 6:30 p.m.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
CITIZENS’ FORUM: (Speakers must sign in with the City Clerk). The Citizens’ Forum period shall be no longer than fifteen minutes, and citizens may address the Council on one subject only and for no longer than three minutes. Issues to be discussed shall not include matters to be considered or discussed as part of the regular Council agenda and must be related to substantive city business. No comments regarding personnel or job performance are allowed.
COUNCIL LIAISON UPDATES
1. CONSENT CALENDAR.
(THE CONSENT CALENDAR IS APPROVED IN ITS ENTIRETY UNLESS THE COUNCIL REMOVES AN ITEM FOR DISCUSSION. ALL LICENSES ARE GRANTED SUBJECT TO COMPLIANCE WITH ORDINANCES #31-80 AND #98-40.)
- Minutes of the meetings held October 14, 2016 (Approve)
- Special Event Licenses:
1) Newport Art Museum, d/b/a Winter Speaker Series, Newport Art Museum; January 7, 14, 21, 28 and February 4, 11, 25, 2017 from 2:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
2) Newport Art Museum, d/b/a Art After Dark, Newport Art Museum; 1/12/2017, 2/9/2017, 3/9/2017, 4/13/2017, 5/11/2017, 6/8/2017 from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
3) Newport Art Museum, d/b/a Member’s Opening Reception, Newport Art Museum; February 3, 2017 from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
4) Gray Matter Marketing, d/b/a Newport Night Run: A Race for Education, beginning and ending at Rogers High School; April 1, 2017 from 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
5) Gray Matter Marketing, d/b/a Craft Brew Races Newport, Fort Adams State Park; July 22, 2017 from 12: 00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Holiday Selling License, New, Cameron DuBreuil, d/b/a California East, 462 Thames St.
- Daily Entertainment License, Emmanuel Church, d/b/a Parent’s Night Out, 42 Dearborn St.; December 16, 2016 from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Tattoo Parlor/Operator License, Renewal, Sitting Bull Tattoo, LLC, David Bennett Jr., 136A Thames St.
- Arcade License/Mechanical Amusement Device, Renewal, Ryan Family Amusements Inc., d/b/a Ryan Family Amusements, 268 Thames St. (49 machines)
- Mechanical Amusement Device Renewal, Newport Music Co., (62 machines – 20 locations)
- Pool Table License, Renewals, Atlas Vending Inc., 199 Connell Hgwy, 1 table
- i. Communication from Paul O’Reilly, CEO, Newport Harbor Corporation, re: Giving Newport Waterfront Events permission to utilize the Historic Wharves Associates, Inc. Annual Entertainment License during the operation of the Newport Skating Center (Receive)
- Communication from the Newport Canvassing Authority, re:Certification of the results of the November 8, 2016 General Election
- Communication from the Newport Bicycle & Advisory Commission, re:Requesting the City to amend Chapter 9.08.110 of the Codified Ordinances and to promote and enforce snow removal laws (Receive and refer to City Administration for a recommendation)
- Communication from Frank Landry, re:Resignation from the Newport Housing Authority (Receive with regret)
LICENSES & PERMITS
- Special Event License, Anna Collins, d/b/a Collins Wedding, Fireworks Display from a barge off of Belle Mer, January 1, 2017 from 12:00 a.m. to 12:15 a.m.
- Sound Variance Application, Atlas Pyrovision Entertainment Group, in conjunction with Anna Collins for the Collins Wedding, Fireworks Display from a barge off of Belle Mer, December 31, 2016 at 11:59 p.m. (Public Hearing)
- 2016-2017 Victualing License Renewals:
- BelleMer Inc., d/b/a Belle Mer, 2 Goat Island
- Historic Wharves Associates, Inc., d/b/a The Bohlin, Commercial Wharf
- Hillside & Cappy, Inc., d/b/a Hillside Café, 8 Memorial Blvd. West
- Pasta Beach, LLC, d/b/a Pasta Beach, 7 Memorial Blvd.
- Picnic LTD, d/b/a Picnic, 26-28 Bellevue Ave.
- Shaner Rhode Island LLC, d/b/a Saltwater, 49 America’s Cup Ave.
- Victualing License, New, Ya Ting Tokyo House, Inc., d/b/a Newport Tokyo House Sushi & Hibachi, 6-10 Equality Park (in conjunction with liquor license transfer)
- Victualing License, New, NPG Hospitality Group, LLC, d/b/a Hyatt Regency Newport, One Goat Island (in conjunction with liquor license transfer)
- Victualing License, JR Pizza Corporation, d/b/a Mama Leone’s, 150 Connell Highway (in conjunction with liquor license transfer)
- Victualing License,108 Laces, Inc., d/b/a Mudville Pub, 8 West Marlborough St. (in conjunction with liquor license transfer)
- Victualing License, New, Ciro’sPomodoro Italian Restaurant & Bar, 10 Brown and Howard Wharf, Unit 103-107 (in conjunction with liquor license transfer)
COMMUNICATIONS AND PETITIONS
10. APPOINTMENTS TO BOARDS & COMMISSIONS
Note: Vacancies currently or soon will exist on the following Boards and Commissions:
Accessibility Advisory Committee, Waste Water and Storm Water Improvements Committee, Affirmative Action Commission, Beach Commission, Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Commission, Energy and Environment Commission, Finance Review Committee, Harbor Walk Commission, Historic District Commission, Planning Board, Trust and Investment Commission, Tree and Open Space Commission, Waterfront Commission, Zoning Board of Review
Council Liaison Appointments
- Brenton Point Committee – Kathryn E. Leonard
- City Council/School Liaison Committee – Jeanne-Marie Napolitano, Lynn U. Ceglie, Jamie Bova
- Cliff Walk Commission – Henry F. Winthrop
- Fort Adams Foundation – Kathryn E. Leonard
- Legislative Liaison- Susan D. Taylor
- Miantonomi Park Commission – Henry F. Winthrop, Susan D. Taylor
- Military Affairs Liaison – Jamie Bova
- Newport County Chamber of Commerce Liaison – Jeanne-Marie Napolitano, Jamie Bova
- Hospitality Commission – Henry F. Winthrop
- Rose Island Lighthouse Foundation – Susan D. Taylor
- East Bay Community Action Program – Susan D. Taylor
- Senior Citizens Center – Jeanne-Marie Napolitano, Lynn U. Ceglie, Jamie Bova
- Washington Square Advisory Commission – Lynn U. Ceglie
- Affirmative Action Commission – Susan D. Taylor, Jamie Bova
- Newport Public Education Foundation – Lynn U. Ceglie
- Newport Partnership for Families – Lynn U. Ceglie
- State House Liaison – Jeanne-Marie Napolitano
- Tree and Open Space – Susan D. Taylor
- Energy and Environment – Jamie Bova
- Engage Newport – Lynn U. Ceglie
Tree and Open Space Commission – Maureen Cronin Marosits
Newport Waterfront Commission– Peter J. Baum
Newport Housing Authority – Nicki Vasquez
- Designating Henry F. Winthrop as Chief Executive Officer of the City for purposes of signing various State and Federal documents
- Requesting City grant applications in excess of $25,000 be placed on the City Council agendas for public discussion – K. Leonard, J. Florez
- Requesting the City to investigate PILOT programs – K. Leonard, J. Florez
- Requesting the City to investigate the development of a new website- J. Florez, L. Ceglie, J. Napolitano
COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY MANAGER
- Action Item #5592/16 RE: Extension of GIS Service Contracts – Critigen LLC and ESRI (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action Item #5593/16 RE: RE: Award of Contract – RFP 17-036, Parking Meters Management (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action Item #5594/16 RE: RIDEM Agreement for Miantonomi Memorial Park Recreation Grant (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action Item #5595/16 RE: Award of Bid #17-035 – Citywide and Public School Building Mechanical Contract Services (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action Item #5596/16 RE: Ordinance Revision – 10.40.010 – Isolated Stop Signs—Designated – Anthony Street at Bowery Street and Brightman Avenue at Wilbur Avenue (w/accompanying ordinance)
ADJOURN AS COUNCIL AND CONVENE AS BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS
BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS
Class F Daily Liquor Licenses:
- Newport Art Museum, d/b/a Art After Dark, Newport Art Museum; 1/12/2017, 2/9/2017, 3/9/2017, 4/13/2017, 5/11/2017 and 6/8/2017 from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Newport Art Museum, d/b/a Member’s Opening Reception, Newport Art Museum; February 3, 2017 from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Gray Matter Marketing, d/b/a Craft Brew Races Newport, Fort Adams State Park; July 22, 2017 from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
LICENSES AND PERMITS
- Application of J & A Tokyo House LLC, d/b/a Newport Tokyo House Sushi & Hibachi, 8 Equality Park Place, to transfer its Class BL alcoholic beverage license to Ya Ting Tokyo House Inc. (Ting Qun Li, sole stock holder), d/b/a Newport Tokyo House Sushi & Hibachi, for the same premises (Hearing)
- Application of DHC Food & Beverage Corporation, d/b/a Hyatt Regency Newport, 1 Goat Island, to transfer its Class BT alcoholic beverage license to NPG Hospitality Group, LLC (George Filopoulos, sole member) for the same premises (Hearing)
- Application of 108 Laces, Inc., d/b/a Mudville Pub, 8 West Marlborough St., to transfer its Class BV alcoholic beverage license to JR Pizza Corporation (StamatisReves, sole stockholder), d/b/a Mama Leone’s, 150 Connell Highway (Hearing)
Bills of Indebtedness
- Best Beverage:$1040.00
- Empty Keg:$468.00
- Application of JR Pizza Corporation, d/b/a Mama Leone’s, 150 Connell Highway, to transfers its Class BL alcoholic beverage license to 108 Laces Inc. (Wesley Armstrong, 50 shares and Kevin Sullivan, 50 shares), d/b/a Mudville Pub, 8 West Marlborough St. (Hearing)
- Application of A & O, Inc., d/b/aWilly’s, 599 Thames St. to transfer its Class BV alcoholic beverage license to TBG Food and Beverage LLC (Johannes Erksine Floe, sole member),d/b/a Ciro’s, 10 Brown and Howard Wharf, Units 103-107 (Hearing)
To view the agenda and all 158 pages of documents for this meeting, visit here.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools