A local pet supply shop is hoping to make Newport a more paw-friendly place this winter for dogs and their owners.
Beginning January 1st, pet owners, retailers, and property owners will be able to purchase Safe Paw brand ice melt at wholesale pricing through the Newport-based business.
“Newport’s winters can be tough for pets,” explains Wag Nation owner Michelle Shevlin. “Our narrow streets and sidewalks can quickly become difficult to navigate during a good snow storm. But as a very walkable town, being able to stroll downtown or simply around the block after a good snow is also one of the things we love about our community.”
“Last year, we saw a lot of pet owners come into the shop looking for help with their pets’ paws. Ice, salt, and snow can irritate the pads of dogs and cats. And some of the chemicals found in most ice melt, like chlorine, can lead to real health and environmental problems.”
Safe Paw, on the other hand, uses absolutely no salt or harmful chemicals in its production and is much friendlier on their environment than traditional ice melts.
In fact, Safe Paw was recently awarded the PTPA Green Product Seal and was included in the Whole Green Catalog: 1000 Best Things for You and the Earth.
“As a small business, we’re very much rooted in our community and one of our goals for this coming year is to make Newport as pet friendly as possible,” says Shevlin.
According to the company, Safe Paw’s patented dual-effect compound, made up of crystalline amide core infused with special glycols, provides a non-corrosive composition with two-way timed-release action. The liquid component starts melting ice instantly while breaking its surface tension and works up to two degrees below zero. This allows the crystal-core to quickly penetrate and destabilize the ice and speed up the melting process. Rock salt and other salt-based ice melters contain sodium chloride or potassium chloride that melt only down to 24 degrees which is not very low and does it very slowly.
Often these white pellets (crystals) sit on ice and snow surfaces for a long period before penetrating. Exposure or digesting these ingredients can cause health problems for pets and children. Moreover, the salt residue left over from these products causes damage to pavers, concrete, asphalt, wood, lawns, floors and rugs.
Beginning January 1st, Wag Nation will sell Safe Paw 8.3 lb. jugs for $14, while a 35 lb. container will be on sale for $55. Offer is good for Newport County residents and business owners.
Wag Nation is located at 92 William St. in Newport, adjacent to the Bellevue Gardens Shopping Plaza. With limited supplies in stock, anyone interested in ordering either an 8.3 lb. or 35 lb. container for their property should call (401) 619-3719, or email Bark@Wag-Nation.com. Large property and commercial property owners are encouraged to place their orders no later than Wednesday for Fridaypickup. Free home delivery is also available Friday afternoons.
Source: Press Release provided by Wag Nation
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13