We wish to thank the community for its tremendous support of our 9th annual Singing For Shelter. Each year, we organize many of our island’s talented musicians to put on an acoustic Christmas concert-with all the money raised going to our homeless shelters-The McKinney Shelter and Lucy’s Hearth.
This year’s concert was held on December 8 to a capacity crowd at Channing Church in Newport and the evening was full of warmth and genuine community spirit.
Thank you to Channing Church, Christmas In Newport, Michele Dubuc, Jenn Barrera of Lucy’s Hearth, Ken Robinson of The McKinney Shelter, KVH, John Flanders, Ryan Belmore, Lynne Tungett of Newport This Week, WADK radio, Frank Dwyer of Stagecraft Audio, Rick’s Music of Raynham, MA, John Michael and Diana Skaggs, Christine Vuolo, Michelle Seigal, Kay Kreiger, Beverley Peirson, Diane Myers, Donna Maytum, and Joan Dermody.
Also, we wish to thank all the musicians who gave so generously of their time and talent: Alfresco Flutes, ZanRicky Duo, Ray Davis, Mike Purcell, Brenda Bennett, Jack Casey, Chief Noda, Rand Bradbury, Ed Ledwith, Chuck and Toni Ciany, Mike Jackson, Chris and Jonathan Myers, Jimmy Winters, Rick Jones, Tom Perrotti, Joe Lambiase, Ed McGuirl, Mike Fischman, Matt Bruneau and Leslie Grimes.
Thanks to the effort of everyone, we were able to raise $6,700-which will be divided evenly among both shelters. Newport is a small town with a big heart and we remain grateful. Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all and we’ll see you next year!
Anne and Mark Gorman
The Latest From WUN
- City of Newport: A portion of the Cliff Walk will be closed on Monday for maintenance
- Newport String Quartet to perform Dvorak, Montgomery, and Tate at St Columba’s
- ‘Normandie’ estate on Ocean Drive sells for $12.5 million
- On the market for a new home? Check out these 29 open houses happening this weekend
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Popovic, Nelson, and a Legend