After more than 12 years, Laura Jean Denim will have new ownership beginning on February 1, 2017.
Storeowner and Newport local, Laura Flynn, founded her company in 2005 with the mission of bringing fashionable, comfortable clothing to Newport.
Flynn shared the news with customers and friends via an e-mail on Thursday morning.
“I am happy to announce that the new owner is Nancy Isherwood. Nancy, a Newport resident, currently owns Isherwood & Company, a women’s apparel and jewelry boutique on Bowen’s Wharf. She previously owned and directed Isherwood Gallery on William St., where some of you may remember she hosted the popular Frederick Cushing and Caterine Millinaire solo shows. Her degree and experience in art and design makes her particularly suited for fashion retail”, Flynn said in the e-mail.
Nancy will maintain the Laura Jean Denim name and brands as well as introducing some lines of her own, according to Flynn.
“My decision was a long and hard one, but I am excited to see how Laura Jean Denim will flourish under Nancy’s love and care. I will be assisting Nancy during and after the transition in order to make this as smooth as possible for our customers,” Flynn went on to say in the e-mail.
Gift certificates, store credits and Denim Dollars will be honored after the transition.
“More details will come following the holiday. Of course, a party is also in order, so please stay tuned for more information!,” Flynn concluded in the e-mail.
Update: Isherwood & Company shared a link to this story on Facebook on Thursday, where they also confirmed that Isherwood would be closing at the end of this week.
Laura Jean Denim can be found at 198 Bellevue Avenue and online at www.laurajeandenim.com.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits