The Jane Pickens Theater and Event Center- Newport’s premier independent cinema- has booked five magnificent Bolshoi Ballet performances for the 2016-2017 season. All showings, including The Nutcracker (December 18 encore), a live from the stage performance of The Sleeping Beauty (January 22) and a recording of Swan Lake (February 5 encore) are presented in HD from the internationally renowned Moscow Theater of the Russian Federation.
The holiday season is incomplete without a visit from The Nutcracker– a worldwide and historic phenomenon that has been performed countlessly for over a century. The Bolshoi’s version has been hailed by critics and spectators alike as dazzling, mesmerizing and unique.
Kick off the new year with a live screening of The Sleeping Beauty, reminding us once more why this ballet is counted among the classics. This production includes the added excitement of live theater. Viewers can share in the thrill brought by the knowledge that what they are witnessing is in real time. Come bask in what the UK Standard has called pure “grandeur and courtly grace.”
In Swan Lake– “that most quintessential of ballets”- spectators will be treated to the great Moscow Theater’s entrancing rendition of Tchaikovsky’s classic. One of the most popular ballets in history, Swan Lake has for over one hundred years thrilled audiences with its instrumentation and enchanting story based on a mixture of Russian folklore.
Rounding out the season is an encore performance of A Hero in Our Time– an epic story portraying a classic literary anti-hero’s journey, touching on philosophical themes of fate and identity; and A Contemporary Evening– an exciting triptych featuring some of the most skillfully choreographed dance one could imagine.
The JPT looks forward to another season of memory-making, presenting some of the best international ballet the world has to offer, experienced right in the heart of Newport.
2016-17 JPT Bolshoi Ballet:
- The Nutcracker – December 18 @ 12:55
- The Sleeping Beauty – January 22 @ 12:55
- Swan Lake – February 5 @ 12:55
- A Contemporary Evening – March 19 @12:55
- A Hero of Our Time – April 9 @ 12:55
Tickets are $17 per show at www.janepickens.com
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill