Hotel Viking’s second annual Viking Wine Festival kicks off Jan. 28 with a look back at the featured wines from the inaugural event in 2016 and more. Last year, the five-dinner series showcased vintages from Donelan Family Wines, Page Wine Cellars, JUSTIN Wines, Opus One Winery and Frog’s Leap Winery.
Building on the success of the inaugural series, the 2017 Viking Wine Festival comprises seven winemaker-hosted dinners in addition to the grand opening reception. This year, winemakers from vineyards in Sonoma, Calif., Napa, Calif., Washington, South Africa, Italy and Germany’s Mosel Valley will collaborate with Hotel Viking Chef Barry Correia to create four-course prix-fixe menus. In keeping with the festival’s longtime protocol, Chef Correia will taste each wine before creating a menu to complement its flavor profiles while showcasing the products of local purveyors.
The Viking Wine Festival is modeled after the long-running Boston Wine Festival. Established by Boston Harbor Hotel’s Chef Daniel Bruce in 1989, the Boston Wine Festival has grown to include dozens of events including dinners, seminars, brunches and receptions, and holds the honor of being the nation’s longest running food and wine festival. Many of the winemakers participating in the Boston event will also host dinners at the Viking Wine Festival.
The 2017 Viking Wine Festival schedule is:
Grand Opening Reception
A celebration of wines from the 2016 Viking Wine Festival with tastings of what’s to come in 2017, including up-and-coming wines from each distributor
Host: Matt Hobbs
Winery: Paul Hobbs Winery
Location: Sonoma, Calif.
Host: Giovanni Pasquero
Winery: Paitin Estate
Location: Piedmont, Italy
Host: Christophe Hedges
Winery: Hedges Family Estate
Location: Red Mountain, Washington
Host: Sean Larkin
Winery: Larkin Wines
Location: Napa, Calif.
Host: Raimund Prüm
Winery: S.A. Prüm
Location: Mosel Valley, Germany
Host: Joe Anderson
Location: Sonoma, Calif.
Host: Gary and Kathy Jordan
Winery: Jardin/Jordan Wine Estate
Location: Stellenbosch, South Africa
The 2017 Viking Wine Festival runs through March 25. Priced at $119 per person, including tax and gratuity, each dinner starts at 7 p.m. To pre-purchase tickets, visit www.vikingwinefestival.com. For information or to make a reservation, call 401-848-4813 or email email@example.com.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)