Attorney General Peter F. Kilmartin has announced that a Newport County Superior Court jury found James Dalton (age 61), of Fall River, MA, guilty yesterday of one count of second degree sexual assault. The jury returned the verdict in less than an hour after a one and one half day trial presided over by Superior Court Justice Stephen P. Nugent.
During the course of the trial, the State proved that the defendant sexually assaulted a male unknown to him. On September 5, 2015, the victim was visiting Newport to celebrate a friend’s birthday. As the evening wore on, the victim became separated from his group of friends and eventually fell asleep in Aquidneck Park, located behind the Newport Public Library. The victim awoke to the defendant grabbing at his genital area and screaming obscenities.
After being found guilty, the defendant was remanded to the Adult Correctional Institutions pending sentencing, which is scheduled for February 3, 2017.
Captain Russell Carlone (retired) of the Newport Police Department led the investigation and Special Assistant Attorney General Eric Batista prosecuted the case on behalf of the Office of Attorney General.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals