Mark and Anne Gorman of Newport will be hosting their 9th Annual Singing For Shelter acoustic Christmas concert, for the benefit of Lucy’s Hearth and The McKinney Shelter, on Thursday, December 8th at Channing Memorial Church.
Many of Aquidneck Island’s favorite musicians join together every year to raise money for the area’s homeless shelters.
“As musicians, we’re all honored to do our part to try and alleviate homelessness. This winter promises to be a harsh one, so we’re asking all of Aquidneck Island friends to once again come out and support this great night of music for a great cause,” Mark Gorman said.
This year’s performers include: ZanRicky, Ray Davis and Mike Purcell, Jack Casey, Chief Noda, Rand Bradbury, Ed Ledwith, Dan and Donna O’neill, Toni and Chuck Ciany, David Dragone, Jonathan and Chris Myers, Jimmy Winters, Rick Jones, The Slackwater String Band, Al Fresco Flutes, Leslie Grimes and Matt Bruneau and Mike Jackson.
Making her first Singing For Shelter appearance is RI Musicians Hall Of Fame Inductee Brenda Bennett. As a member of superstar Prince’s Vanity 6 and Appolonia 6, Bennett earned both a gold record and a platinum record.
“Lucy’s Hearth and The McKinney Shelter do a wonderful job of providing temporary housing for our homeless population. Singing For Shelter allows these local musicians to support the great work done by these shelters,” Mark Gorman continued.
The event will include a raffling off of a brand new Washburn Acoustic Guitar (valued at $1,000).
The event is scheduled for 7 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. on Thursday, December 8th. Tickets are $18 in advance, $20 at the door. Children accompanied by an adult are free.
“This winter promises to be particularly harsh, so we are asking everyone to try and join us on Thursday, December 8th to get in the holiday spirit and to raise money for our homeless shelters”, Mark Gorman said.
SINGING FOR SHELTER is a Christmas In Newport event and is sponsored by Channing Memorial Church.
More from What’s Up Newp
- Newport Illuminated Boat Parade canceled due to weather
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Neutral Nation, Deer Tick and the All-Star Stars
- MLK Center to host free community holiday dinner on December 1
- Newport, Tiverton groups sharing $660,000 in grants to strengthen nonprofits led by people of color
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Schemers ring in the holiday season at The Met
- Blackstone River Theatre Holiday Craft Fair and Festival returns with 24 crafters and live music
- Just My Opinion: What are you thankful for in 2021?
- Newport Jazz Festival releases 2021 Thank You Video
- RITBA: For the first time since the pandemic began, traffic returning to 2019 levels on Pell Bridge
- Singing For Shelter returns December 1 – 22, nightly virtual live concerts will raise money for local shelters