Donald Trump has offered Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn (Retired), a Middletown, RI native, the job of national security adviser, multiple national sources are reporting.
Besides growing up on Aquidneck Island, Flynn graduated from the University of Rhode Island with a Bachelor of Science degree in management science, commissioned a distinguished military graduate through Reserve Officers’ Training Corps, two honorary doctorates, and finally holds three master’s degrees Flynn is currently CEO and Chairman of the Flynn Intel Group
Flynn has been reportedly advising Trump throughout his presidential campaign and has worked with him on national security issues during the transition.
Flynn has over 33 years of service in our nation’s military culminating as the Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) and as the nation’s highest serving military intelligence officer. His experience is broad and his expertise ranges in areas such as Intelligence, Counterintelligence, National Security and Cyber Operations. As DIA Director and Senior Military Intelligence Officer in the Department of Defense (DOD), General Flynn also served as the Commander, Joint Functional Component Command for Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR). As Assistant Director of National Intelligence, he was responsible for International, Defense, and Domestic Law Enforcement and Intelligence Partner Engagement. He also served as the Senior Special Operations Intelligence Officer in Iraq and twice as the Senior Intelligence Officer in Afghanistan, serving nearly five years in combat.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals