The seven members who have been elected to Newport City Council for the next two years will take their Oath of Office at Newport City Hall on Thursday, December 1st.
Returning to the Council are Second Ward Councilor Lynn Ceglie, Thirs Ward Concilor Kate Leonard and Councilor-At Large members John Florez and Jeanne-Marie Napolitano. Harry Winthrop and Jamie Bova will join the Council-At Large, while Susan Taylor will represent the First Ward on the Council.
In accordance with Section 2-2 of the Newport City Charter, the Council-Elect will meet at 5:00 p.m. on December 1st in City Council Chambers at Newport City Hall at which time they shall be administered the Oath of Office by Deputy City Clerk, Sulpicio C. Alaan, III.
Justin McLaughlin, Naomi Neville and Marco Camacho will depart the council. Camacho and McLaughlin both lost in their attempt for re-election, while Neville did not run for re-election.
Winthrop will take over as Mayor and Chair of the Council, a position Napolitano held for the last two years. Ceglie will serve as Vice Chair, a position Camcho held for the last two years.
In 1990, Harry was elected to the Newport City Council and served terms from 1990-1993, 1995, and then from 2011-2012. In August 2012, Harry was elected Mayor of the City of Newport, and held that Office until December 2014.
The Latest From WUN
- FirstWorks to present “Women Trailblazers in Music” in November
- Now Hiring: 77 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- National Sailing Hall Of Fame inducts Class of 2021
- Newport woman is first-ever female to win Citizens Pell Bridge Run
- What’s Up This Week: Heart & Sole Walk for Animals, Full Moon Bike ride, The Exorcist, & more