Fifteen national champion teams from around the world have assembled for the first-ever Red Bull Foiling Generation World Final in Newport. The brainchild of sports directors Roman Hagara and Hans Peter Steinacher, Red Bull Foiling Generation gives wings to talented sailors aged 16-20 by introducing them to the type of cutting-edge foiling technology used in the America’s Cup.
The two-person teams have already completed two days of training on Flying Phantom hydrofoil catamarans. With winds hitting 20 knots, the boats flew across Narragansett Bay, with the Newport Bridge, Fort Adams, and New England’s rocky coast in the background. “These young sailors are really motivated to compete in the same waters where the America’s Cup and the Volvo Ocean Race have sailed. It’s an exciting heritage,” Steinacher comments.
Red Bull Foiling Generation pioneers a revolutionary sailing format, with four-boat knockout heats where the top two teams automatically advance. The competition includes Qualification on Friday, the Knockout series and Repechage on Saturday and the Semifinals and Final on Sunday. The MORECAST app from UBIMET is indicating more strong winds, setting up epic showdowns in the minimum of four races scheduled each day.
“We want to help talented young sailors get experience that can lead them toward the next stage, such as the Red Bull Youth America’s Cup,” says Hagara. “They’re performing at such a high level that it’s impossible to predict the winner. They’re racing on the edge, and Newport will be seeing the future of sailing this weekend.”
The World Finals will take place on Saturday, October 22nd from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Sunday October, 23rd from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., followed by an Awards Ceremony. The best place to enjoy the action is from Fort Adams State Park, where admission and parking is free. There will also be concessions and activities available on-site. Racing is weather dependent.
For more on the Red Bull Foiling Generation series in Newport, visit http://foilinggeneration.redbull.com/.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts