North Sails, a world wide leader in sail making who already calls Newport home of their world headquarters, will open its second US retail location in the heart of Newport at 172 Thames Street (formerly A Christmas To Remember and Potter & Co.) on Monday, October 17th.
The new location in Newport joins Annapolis in offering the brands signature outerwear, waterproof bags, pants, sweaters, hybrid jackets, beanies and scarves in a brick-and-mortar retail store.
Before opening these retail stores, North Sails men’s and women’s gear and apparel that is “engineered for sailing and modern life” has been only available to purchase through their (somewhat) recently launched webstore.
North Sails was founded in 1957 by Lowell North an American sailor and Olympic Gold Medalist. North was an engineer methodically focused on building sails that were faster than the competitions. Year after year, Lowell North and his team pioneered new innovative technologies that conquered wind and water, and won races.
According to North Sails website, “Lowell North’s spirit lives on in North Sails clothing. North Sails is at the intersection of innovation, technology, and design, creating garments that perform with confidence in extreme conditions, but look great no matter the conditions. Extremely functional but beautiful, our collections are designed with a clean aesthetic yet are never over-designed. With a full range of clothing, the cornerstone of their brand is technical sailing jackets and coats which are engineered for winning with details like body mapped ergonomic fits for freedom of movement; lightweight, breathable, waterproof fabrics; and durable, reinforced construction.”
More From What’s Up Newp
- This Day in RI History: May 18, 1652 – Rhode Island becomes the first colony to pass an anti-slavery law
- Now Hiring: 125+ job opportunities available right now
- Rhode Island Hospitality Jobs: RI Hospitality Association launches new website for employers and job seekers
- Governor McKee, RIDOH change up COVID-19 press conference schedule, will now take place every other Thursday
- CCRI hosts 5th Annual Raising Opportunities Benefit to support students’ ‘comeback’ amidst pandemic