The following items of business, filed with the City Clerk under the Rules of the Council, will come before the Council at its regular meeting to be held at Newport City Hall on October 12, 2016 . The meeting will convene at 7:00 p.m. instead of 6:30 p.m. in observance of Yom Kippur.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
CITIZEN’S FORUM: (Speakers must sign in with the City Clerk). The Citizen’s Forum period shall be no longer than fifteen minutes, and citizens may address the Council on one subject only and for no longer than three minutes. Issues to be discussed shall not include matters to be considered or discussed as part of the regular council agenda and must be related to substantive city business. No comments regarding personnel or job performance are allowed.
COUNCIL LIAISON UPDATES
1. PUBLIC HEARING – Decorative Street Light Policy.
2. CONSENT CALENDAR.
(THE CONSENT CALENDAR IS APPROVED IN ITS ENTIRETY UNLESS THE COUNCIL REMOVES AN ITEM FOR DISCUSSION. ALL LICENSES ARE GRANTED SUBJECT TO COMPLIANCE WITH ORDINANCES #31-80 AND #98-40.)
- Special Event Licenses:
- Beechwood Foundation Inc., d/b/a Marley Bridges Theatre Company, Mystery at the Museum; Newport Art Museum:
- A Shocking Shower:10/1/16, 10/15/16, & 10/22/16 from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- St. Nick’s Sinister Secret:11/4/16, 11/11/16, 11/18/16, 11/25/16, 12/2/16, 12/9/16, 12/16/16, 12/23/16, 12/30/16, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- c. Winter Murderland: 1/21/17, 1/28/17, 2/4/17, 2/11/17, 2/16/17, 2/18/17 & 2/25/17, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Spring Surprise:3/4/17, 3/11/17, 3/18/17, 3/25/17, 4/1/17, 4/8/17, 4/15/17, 4/22/17, 4/29/17, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Waiting for Caroline:5/6/17, 5/20/17, 6/3/17, 6/17/17, 7/8/17, 7/22/17, 8/5/17, 8/26/17, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Vicious Victorians:5/13/17, 5/27/17, 6/10/17, 6/24/17, 7/15/17, 7/29/17, 8/19/17, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Sleuth’s Symposium:9/2/17, 9/9/17, 9/16/17, 9/23/17, 9/30/17, 10/7/17, 10/14/17, 10/21/17, 10/28/17, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Fab Newport & Tinker Bristol, d/b/a RI Mini Maker Faire:East Bay Edition, 1 York St.; October 15, 2016 from noon to 5:00 p.m.
- Edward King House Senior Center, d/b/a Annual Cocktail Party, Edward King House; October 15, 2016 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Parent Advisory Board of EDS-Emmanuel Church, d/b/a Emmanuel Day School Yard Sale Fundraiser, Emmanuel Church; October 22, 2016 from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Christine M. Regan, d/b/a Psychic Fair, Elks Lodge; October 29, 2016 from 12:00 p.m. to10:00 p.m.
- Friends of Ballard Park, d/b/a Star Gazing, Ballard Park; November 5, 2016 from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Request waiver of ordinance 12.32.010, entitled “Closing Hours of Parks”)
- Island Moving Company, d/b/a Newport Nutcracker at Rosecliff; November 25-27, 2016 & November 29-December 2, 2016, Show times- 2:00 p.m., 4:00 p.m., 6:00 p.m. & 7:30 p.m.
- Friends of Ballard Park, d/b/a 12th Annual Illuminated Garden, Ballard Park; February 23, 24, & 25, 2017 from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Request waiver of ordinance 12.32.010 entitled, “Closing Hours of Parks”)
- Gray Matter Marketing, d/b/a Newport 10 Miler, streets of Newport (route attached); June 4, 2017 from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Holiday Selling License, New, Mattress Firm, Inc., d/b/a/ Mattress Firm, 199 Connell Highway
- Resignation of Tod Murphy from the Planning Board (Receive with regret)
- Communication from Gray & Pape Heritage Management, re:Delivery of artifacts to the City recovered during Phase II Archaeological Investigations of the Newport Tower, Touro Park, conducted by the Chronognostic Research Foundation in 2007 (Receive)- A complete copy is available in the City Clerk’s Office and on the City’s website: www.cityofnewport.com
- Communication from The Cliff Walk Commission, re: Economic Impact of Newport’s Cliff Walk (Receive) – A complete copy is available in the City Clerk’s Office and on the City’s website: www.cityofnewport.com
- Communication from Discover Newport, re:Annual Audit Report (Receive) – A complete copy is available in the City Clerk’s Office and on the City’s website:www.cityofnewport.com
LICENSES & PERMITS
- Victualing License, New, P Rodgers, LLC, d/b/a Verde Design, 162 Broadway, Unit 3
COMMUNICATIONS AND PETITIONS
4. APPOINTMENTS TO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
Note: Vacancies currently or soon will exist on the following Boards and Commissions:
Accessibility Advisory Committee, Ad Hoc Committee on Waste Water and Storm Water Improvements, Affirmative Action Commission, Beach Commission, Charter Review Commission, Finance Review Committee, Harbor Walk Commission, Historic Cemetery Advisory Commission, Historic District Commission, Hospitality Commission, Tree and Open Space Commission, Zoning Board
Energy and Environment Commission– Elizabeth Blank
Historic Cemetery Advisory Commission– Alyssa Lozupone
Historic District Commission-
Karl Bjork- 1st alternate to full member
Howard Elliot- 2nd alternate to full member
COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY MANAGER
- Action Item #5570/16 re: National Grid Petition – West Extension Street – New Pole (Continued from September 28, 2016)
- Action Item #5577/16 re: Ordinance Change: Chapter 10.28.050 – Mary Street Parking Lot (w/accompanying ordinance)
- Action Item #5578/16 re: Ordinance Revision – 10.24. Parking Restrictions on Specific Streets – Parking Prohibited in certain places during certain hours – Broadway – Parking for School Bus Loading – 2:00 – 2:30 p.m. during the School Session (w/accompanying ordinance)
- Action Item #5579/16 re: Award of Bid # 17-023 Water Division – Trench and Sidewalk Restoration 2017 (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action Item #5580/16 re: Award of Contract No. 17-016 – Ruggles Avenue Pump Station Upgrades (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action Item #5581/16 re: Contract Amendment 2 – Engineering Services – #15-026 Design of Improvements to Ruggles Avenue Pump Station (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action Item #5582/16 re: Employment Classification Change for Canvassing Board Clerk (w/accompanying ordinance)
ADJOURN AS COUNCIL AND CONVENE AS BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS
BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS
- Class F-1 Daily Liquor License, Edward King House Senior Center, October 15, 2016 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Class F Daily Liquor License, Fort Adams Trust, d/b/a Newport 10 Miler, Fort Adams State Park, June 4, 2017 from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
LICENSES AND PERMITS
- Application of Carter LLC, d/b/a Speakeasy, 250 Thames St. , to transfer 50% of membership currently held by Kevin Sullivan to Joshua Miles (Hearing)
- Application of Surf Club, LLC, d/b/a Surf Club, 337 Thames St., to expand its Class BT alcoholic beverage license to increase the outdoor patio service area from a 726 sq. to 1226 sq. foot area (Hearing)
To access Council Dockets(Agendas) and Minutes, click here.
To access the City of Newport’s Codified Ordinances, click here.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools