Cliff the Coyote was finally tranquilized and captured on Wednesday morning near Annandale Road in Newport, according to multiple sources.
Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management (RI DEM) is expected to be released in a undisclosed location off of Aquidneck Island.
Due to the an online petition and public outcry for Cliff in September, Councilman Florez asked Middletown Police Department and Middletown Town Council for 3-5 days to raise funds to tranquilize and transport Cliff. At that time, Councilor Florez stated that he had made arrangement with a Massachusetts zoo and he created a GoFundMe page to aid in the campaign with the goal of $8,000.
The option of relocating him to a zoo, proved to be too costly according to Councilor Florez.
Councilor Florez told us that the funds raised from the online fundraiser will be used to raise awareness and hopefully prevent this from happening again;
“ALL funds raised will be donated to Numi’s group and help create an awareness program in Middletown and Newport. The public needs to be educated on the dangers of leaving garbage out. The proliferation of these creatures is a real concern.”
The Latest From WUN
- City of Newport: A portion of the Cliff Walk will be closed on Monday for maintenance
- Newport String Quartet to perform Dvorak, Montgomery, and Tate at St Columba’s
- ‘Normandie’ estate on Ocean Drive sells for $12.5 million
- On the market for a new home? Check out these 29 open houses happening this weekend
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Popovic, Nelson, and a Legend