Just hours after Representative Lauren Carson (D.- District 75, Newport) said that she had learned that her opponent, Mike Smith, had turned down the opportunity to debate her, Smith has come out explaining he’s ready to debate at any time.
Dear Voters of Newport,
I have recently been accused by my opponent of not being willing to participate in the debate being orga-
nized by the Newport County League of Women Voters.
Let me assure you nothing could be further from the truth. I am actually quite excited about the prospectof being able to debate my opponent on the issues and, even more important, on her dismal voting record.
When originally invited by the NCLWV to participate I responded immediately but was informed that they didn’t get my response. However, all has been rectified this morning as I was in direct contact with them and have been told, thankfully, that the debate is on.
I offer my apologies for any confusion I may have caused regarding my willingness to debate. But I can assure all the voters of District 75 that I am ready, willing and able to publicly debate my opponent. I like you am very interested to hear why she has voted for tolls, against car tax relief almost 100% of the time with the Speaker, to name just a few of the anti-tax payer pro special interest votes she has cast.
In closing, I would like to suggest that in the future, my opponent, Lauren Carson, takes the time to do her homework and to have her facts straight before going public with a false accusation. The public has a right to expect as much from someone who wants the honor of representing them.
The Latest From WUN
- Holidays at the Newport Mansions returns to The Breakers, Marble House, and The Elms starting November 20
- Oakland Forest in Portsmouth will be inducted into the national Old-Growth Forest Network
- Stop & Shop to hold a one-day career fair at all 27 Rhode Island locations
- RI Music Educators call on state, school districts to fund music & arts education
- Wilbury Theatre Group launches Pay-What-You-Can ticket structure for all performances