I’m running for City Council At-Large in Newport because I believe in our city and I believe my unique perspective will serve our city well as we face ongoing challenges. I’ve always loved Newport, which is why I bought my home here and am running for a seat on the Council. With my experience as an engineer at the Naval Undersea Warfare Center, a project manager for the Navy in Washington, DC, and a mentor and board member of Aquidneck Island Robotics, I will bring a distinct set of skills and experience to the Newport City Council. I know the value of teamwork, and believe as a community we need to work together towards a bright future for Newport. I will bring this optimism and determination to our City Council.
On the City Council I will focus on increasing the transparency of our government and improving how the city communicates with our residents and business owners. As a young professional, I know developing a clear, simple communication approach will make it easier to live and do business in Newport. This can help our local businesses focus on delivering their goods and services, and will make Newport even more attractive to new businesses. This is of vital importance for our city to continue to grow. Balancing the priorities of a city is not a simple task, but in my experience the most challenging problems can be overcome by developing a clear plan, sharing it with the community, listening to feedback, and adjusting accordingly.
Newport is internationally recognized as a sailing mecca, for its historic charm, and breathtaking natural beauty. We have the opportunity to set an example as a green, environmentally sustainable city protecting our natural and built environment. Investment in the environment will show visitors, businesses, and residents that the city is committed to keeping Newport a beautiful place for years to come. Investing in green infrastructure also brings opportunities for job growth. I will continue the environmental initiatives already in progress and engage the community to develop new ideas to make Newport a model city – I am committed to keeping it a beautiful place to live, work, and play.
I am running for City Council At-Large because I love Newport and truly believe that government should work for the people. I have been a public servant my entire career, and I will extend my service to our local community if elected to City Council. I look forward to your feedback on my campaign and encourage you to stop by my website (www.jamiebova.com) to learn more. On November 8, Newport residents will choose four At-Large Councilors, and I will be honored if I, Jamie Bova, am one of those four.
Candidate for Newport City Council
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Pop-Punk band Another One Down! releases single + video “Headspace”
- 23 open houses happening this weekend (Sept. 17 – 19)
- X Shore: Swedish electric boating brand opens office at Safe Harbor Newport Shipyard
- Westerly Town Manager quits; Police Chief expected to be appointed interim manager
- City of Newport to kick off American Rescue Plan fund engagement process
- Newport Polo to host USA versus Mexico on Saturday
- What’sUp Interview: Sean Oshima of Oshima Brothers coming to Norman Bird Sanctuary September 24th
- ReVision: Newport Art Museum announces new exhibition by Annu Palakunnathu Matthew
- Aquidneck Land Trust announces the start of its annual Art & Writing Contest
- Gerry Goldstein: Music, with nature calling the tune