If you were among the few unlucky ones to miss Newport Naval Station’s Salute To Summer & Firework Display on August 27th, you’re in luck….kind of.
While there won’t be live music or a big public gathering this time around, anyone in Newport on Saturday, September 3rd will have the opportunity to enjoy a possible firework display over Newport Harbor, at a private events expense.
Ocean State Pyrotechnics are scheduled to shoot off fireworks at 9 p.m. on Saturday night for an unknown private event, the display isn’t expected to last more than 15 minutes.
While originally scheduled to be shot off from a barge in front of the New York Yacht Club, Newport City Council has encouraged organizers of the display to work with the Newport Harbor Master and authorities to shoot them off at a spot that won’t impede harbor traffic or safety.
Editor’s Note: This event has been approved by Newport City Council pending approval by Newport Harbor Master and authorities. Depending on their approval and weather, there is a possibility that this could not happen.
Most firework displays, when shot off from a barge, are done so from the west side of Fort Adams State Park.
Regardless of where it is decided that the barge is placed, the viewing of the display should be great from anywhere facing west in the City-By-The-Sea.
The Latest From WUN
- Holidays at the Newport Mansions returns to The Breakers, Marble House, and The Elms starting November 20
- Oakland Forest in Portsmouth will be inducted into the national Old-Growth Forest Network
- Stop & Shop to hold a one-day career fair at all 27 Rhode Island locations
- RI Music Educators call on state, school districts to fund music & arts education
- Wilbury Theatre Group launches Pay-What-You-Can ticket structure for all performances