Frank Antonio Hair & Makeup sends MLK Center Kids back to school in style
Twenty children and their grateful parents enjoyed an afternoon of pampering at Frank Antonio Hair & Makeup, thanks to the generosity of salon co-owners Frank Barbosa and Antonio Aponte. The children were treated to complimentary haircuts and styling just in time for that all-important first day of school.
All of the children are enrolled in education programs at the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center. Several of the children donated their hair to Locks of Love.
“We know about the great work the MLK Community Center does and wanted to do something meaningful to give back to the community where we live and work. Donating our style services seemed like a natural fit as the kids start the new school year,” Barbosa said.
Four stylists joined Barbosa and Aponte in donating their time for the event. “I think our team had more fun than the kids did! We hope to make this an annual event and maybe expand it with other local salons joining us,” said Aponte.
“We’re thrilled by this unique gift,” said Marilyn Warren, the Center’s Executive Director. “Back to School is an expensive proposition for everyone and an experience like this is out of reach for our working families. Frank and Antonio are such generous community partners!”
Located on Newport’s Bellevue Avenue, boutique styling salon Frank Antonio Hair & Makeup has over thirty years’ experience in the industry, numerous A-list Hollywood clients and an expert team dedicated to making their clients look great and feel even better.
A community resource since 1922, the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center’s innovative programs provide hunger relief, educational and community support for nearly 3,000 diverse residents of Newport County.
For more information, visit www.MLKCCenter.org or call 401-846-4828.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13