The Shop on Thames has been closed for more than a week, and many local residents and business owners are wondering what the future is for the sandwich shop on Lower Thames Street.
“I used to eat there all time but they’ve been closed for like a week, they’ve always had weird hours and would close suddenly at 2 p.m. or not open at all. I don’t know what’s going on with them,” an employee at Virgin & Aged told us on Saturday.
As if being closed in the middle of the summer wasn’t reason enough to question what’s going on, the restaurant hasn’t posted anything on its doors, social media accounts or website.
The restaurant has also not been responsive to e-mails, phone calls or messages from What’sUpNewp.
Update: Since posting this story on our Facebook Page, The Shop has commented on our post with the following;
“Hey everyone, sorry for the abrupt closing. We closed early Sunday and went on a 4 day camping trip. When we returned we realized our walk in fridge that holds all of the food broke when we were away. Due to this we had to throw away all of our inventory and are currently waiting for a part to come in to fix the problem. We will be open ASAP when the fridge is up and running.”
While advertising that they were open 7 days a week from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., some have reported that The Shops hours have been very sporadic throughout the summer.
“Do you guys know what’s up with The Shop? I once went in there for breakfast because I saw them advertising it in a local paper, they had no idea that they were making or serving breakfast. I went back today for lunch to give them a second shot and they are not open and their patio furniture is all over the patio. Tough way to do business, “John T. shared with us via Facebook message on Thursday.
Know what’s going on at The Shop? E-mail us at Ryan@whatsupnewp.com.
This story will be updated when/if more information is received.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now