North Sails, a world wide leader in sailmaking who already calls Newport home of their world headquarters, has plans to open a retail store in Newport, RI this fall, according to a recent story from the Annapolis Patch.
With their first U.S. store opening in Annapolis on August 6th, North Sails has plans to open a brick-and-mortar retail store in New York and Newport this fall.
Before this news, North Sails men’s and women’s gear and apparel that is “engineered for sailing and modern life” has been only available to purchase through their (somewhat) recently launched webstore.
North Sails was founded in 1957 by Lowell North an American sailor and Olympic Gold Medalist. North was an engineer methodically focused on building sails that were faster than the competitions. Year after year, Lowell North and his team pioneered new innovative technologies that conquered wind and water, and won races.
According to North Sails website, “Lowell North’s spirit lives on in North Sails clothing. North Sails is at the intersection of innovation, technology, and design, creating garments that perform with confidence in extreme conditions, but look great no matter the conditions. Extremely functional but beautiful, our collections are designed with a clean aesthetic yet are never over-designed. With a full range of clothing, the cornerstone of their brand is technical sailing jackets and coats which are engineered for winning with details like body mapped ergonomic fits for freedom of movement; lightweight, breathable, waterproof fabrics; and durable, reinforced construction.”
North Sails has not announced where the location for their Newport retail store will be located.
More From What’s Up Newp
- This Day in RI History: May 18, 1652 – Rhode Island becomes the first colony to pass an anti-slavery law
- Now Hiring: 125+ job opportunities available right now
- Rhode Island Hospitality Jobs: RI Hospitality Association launches new website for employers and job seekers
- Governor McKee, RIDOH change up COVID-19 press conference schedule, will now take place every other Thursday
- CCRI hosts 5th Annual Raising Opportunities Benefit to support students’ ‘comeback’ amidst pandemic