Following a Scoot-Coupe accident on Sunday, July 31st where a 38 year old and 10 year old were seriously injured, Representative Lauren Carson (D-District 75, Newport) has said that if she is re-elected in November that she will introduce legislation to hopefully make being a passenger of the 3-wheeled vehicle a bit safer.
The concern came from Representative Carson and by many members of the community when Newport Police Department shared that the driver was not wearing a helmet and is not required to by law.
“I see these vehicles all around Newport and remain very concerned about the safety of the passengers. If I am re-elected I will introduce legislation requiring the driver to wear a helmet in addition to the current requirement for passengers to wear helmets,” Representative Lauren Carson shared on Facebook this week.
All Scoot Coupes that are rented in our area are equipped with seat belts, per state law drivers and passengers are required to wear seat belts, both are required to wear proper eye protection and passengers are required to wear helmets.
The Latest From WUN
- Bowzer’s Rock ‘N’ Doo-Wop Party 20th Anniversary coming to Mohegan Sun Jan. 16
- What’s Up at the Movies: We Review “Dune”
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Minks rock Askew (October 21, 2021)
- New behavioral health pharmacy in EBCAP to serve those with mental health and addiction issues
- Newport Art Museum to present “Newport: The City as a Work of Art” lecture series with John R. Tschirch