The Newport Police Department has released the following information regarding the Scoot Coupe accident that took place on Sunday, July 31st.
On Sunday afternoon, July 31, 2016 at 1547 hours, Newport Police along with Newport Fire Department were dispatched to Ocean Ave at Hazard Road for a motor vehicle accident. On arrival officers and fire department personnel located a three wheel “Scoot Coupe” two person rental moped, where occupants sit side by side, involved in the two vehicle accident.
Heather Brigham, 38 years old of West Warwick, RI was operating the Scoot Coupe with a ten year old male passenger from West Warwick RI, seated beside her. The Scoot Coupe was operating eastbound on Ocean Ave rounding the right hand curve at Hazard Road when the operator lost control within the eastbound lane and rolled onto its side across the double yellow line and sideswiped a Nissan Xterra traveling westbound.
Both occupants of the Scoot Coupe were ejected landing nearby. Brigham, who was not wearing a helmet and not required to by law, suffered severe injuries and was transported to Newport Hospital and later to RI Hospital where she is currently listed in critical condition.
The ten year old male passenger, who was wearing a helmet, suffered severe injuries and was transported to Newport Hospital and later to Hasbro Children’s Hospital where his condition has been upgraded to stable and alert from critical condition.
There were no injuries with the occupants of the Nissan Xterra.
What’sUpNewp has confirmed that the vehicle was rented from Scooter World, one of the two businesses (the other being Mansion Rentals) in town that rent the three-wheeled vehicles.
Scoot Coupes are equipped with a 49cc motor and can be rented from anyone over the age of 18 with a valid drivers license.
All Scoot Coupes that are rented in our area are equipped with seat belts, per state law drivers and passengers are required to wear seat belts, both are required to wear proper eye protection and passengers are required to wear helmets.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library
- Governor, RIDOH, Newport City officials, community partners to host canvassing effort on Wednesday to encourage vaccination