Two-time Rhode Island Hall of Fame musician Brenda Bennett will perform at The Well this Friday, August 26, 2106 at 7 p.m.
With her early years spent performing with Ken Lyon & Tombstone, Bennett’s musical future was varied and exciting. During her 43 year career she toured with Vanity 6, Apollonia 6, The Bangles, The Time, Sheila E and Prince.
“We are delighted Ms. Bennett will perform for us this week and share a little of her story,” said Pastor Paul Hoffman. “From her days in the ‘70’s working with Columbia Records and Warner Brothers Records, to her decision to leave it all and raise her family, she has faced many highs and lows. Her faith gave her strength as she moved from a band member to a solo artist and her new album reflects that.”
Bennett’s past experience also includes work in film. As a member of Apollonia 6 she starred in Mr. Christian’s Birthday along with her childhood favorite, Ricky Nelson. Perhaps the most well-known film she was featured in was Prince’s highly acclaimed film, Purple Rain.
Most recently Bennett produced a new album , a capella, showcasing her talent as singer, songwriter and producer. The music is presented in a rootsy, acoustic-based, Americana style.
Local musicians will join Ms Bennett on Friday night at The Well. Rapper Chris McCabe, Gospel singer Kenny Johnson will sings songs from their new CDs and folk artist Brian van Alstyne will round the evening with acoustic favorites.
The Well is a Christian coffee house held each month at The CBC Annex at 40 Dr. Marcus F.Wheatland Blvd. in Newport. Admission is free and light refreshments are served. This is a family friendly event.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals