Multiple sources begin reporting on Tuesday evening that a 42-year-old man from Newport was forced to land his airplane on a sandbar in the Quabbin Reservoir. The Quabbin Reservoir is located in North Salem, Massachusetts.
That man, who was not hurt in the emergency landing, has been identified by WPRI 12 as Guillaume de Ramel.
de Ramel, an investor and philanthropist, has run for the Democratic nomination for Secretary of State of Rhode Island twice, receiving 47% of the vote in 2006, losing to then North Providence Mayor, A. Ralph Mollis, and 49% of the vote in 2014, losing to executive director of HousingWorks RI Nellie Gorbea.
It has been reported that de Ramel reported having engine problems before the emergency landing.
As of Wednesday afternoon, the plane was still on the sandbar.
What Others Are Saying
- WPRI – RI pilot’s plane still on Quabbin sandbar
- The Providence Journal – Small plane from RI down at Quabbin Reservoir in Mass.; pilot not injured
- The Boston Globe – No known environmental threats after Quabbin plane landing
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals