The Coast Guard was alerted to a boat fire Thursday off the coast of Hog Island on Thursday afternoon.
At approximately 3 p.m., a good Samaritan called Coast Guard Sector Southeastern New England watchstanders to report a boat engulfed in flames near the shore of Hog Island.
Shortly after, Station Castle Hill immediately launched a 45-foot response boat crew and arrived on scene at about 3:30 p.m. and established a safety perimeter.
Narragansett Bay Marine Task Force responded to the scene with teams aboard three fire boats, including a North Kingstown fire boat crew who extinguished the blaze.
There people were reported to have been on the vessel, but local officials later verified they were on shore.No injuries were reported.
The Coast Guard is inspecting the scene for potential pollution and ensuring the safety of nearby mariners.
The Latest From WUN
- Holidays at the Newport Mansions returns to The Breakers, Marble House, and The Elms starting November 20
- Oakland Forest in Portsmouth will be inducted into the national Old-Growth Forest Network
- Stop & Shop to hold a one-day career fair at all 27 Rhode Island locations
- RI Music Educators call on state, school districts to fund music & arts education
- Wilbury Theatre Group launches Pay-What-You-Can ticket structure for all performances