The following items of business, filed with the City Clerk under the Rules of the Council, will come before the Council at its regular meeting to be held on August 24, 2016 at 6:30 p.m. at Newport City Hall.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
CITIZEN’S FORUM: (Speakers must sign in with the City Clerk). The Citizen’s Forum period shall be no longer than fifteen minutes, and citizens may address the Council on one subject only and for no longer than three minutes. Issues to be discussed shall not include matters to be considered or discussed as part of the regular council agenda and must be related to substantive city business. No comments regarding personnel or job performance are allowed.
COUNCIL LIAISON UPDATES
1. CONSENT CALENDAR.
(THE CONSENT CALENDAR IS APPROVED IN ITS ENTIRETY UNLESS THE COUNCIL REMOVES AN ITEM FOR DISCUSSION. ALL LICENSES ARE GRANTED SUBJECT TO COMPLIANCE WITH ORDINANCES #31-80 AND #98-40.)
- Minutes of the meetings held on July 13 and July 27, 2016 (Approve)
- Special Event Licenses:
- Festival Fete, d/b/a Newport Art Fest, The Landing and Lobster Bar Parking lot; August 27 & 28, 2016 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Ocean State Pyrotechnics, d/b/a Firework Display, offshore from barge opposite 5 Halidon Ave.; September 3, 2016 from 9:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Bowen’s Wharf Company, d/b/a Bowen’s Wharf Newport Wooden Boat Show, Bowen’s Wharf and Bowen’s Wharf Marina; September 15-18, 2016 from 10:00 a.m.to 7:00 p.m. daily (9/15 until 9:00 p.m., and 9/18 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.)
- Dancing The Dream Productions, d/b/a Sunset & Sequins Easton’s Beach Rotunda; September 22, 2016 from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Bowen’s Wharf Company, d/b/a Bowen’s Wharf Seafood Festival, Bowen’s Wharf; October 15-16, 2016 from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. daily
- Communication from Anthony Boor, E2SOL LLC/Efficient Energy Solutions, re:Requesting the City approve the Property Assessed Clean Energy Program (PACE) (Receive)
- Communication from Newport Open Space Partnership, re:Thanking the Council for their support (Receive)
- Communication from Newport Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Commission, re:Requesting the City to use FY 2016-17 funds to implement signal changes at the intersection of Touro St., Kay St. and Bellevue Avenue (Receive and refer to the City Administration for a recommendation)
LICENSES & PERMITS
- Application for a Sound Variance, Audrain Automobile Museum, August 26, 2016 from 6:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. at Rosecliff Mansion for a band with amplification (Hearing)
- Entertainment License, Renewal, Class A (Indoors) BMT, LLC, d/b/a The Gas Lamp Grille, 206-208 Thames St.
4. APPOINTMENTS TO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
Discover Newport Board– Reappointment of Matthew Gineo
Note: Vacancies currently or soon will exist on the following Boards and Commissions:
Accessibility Advisory Committee, Ad Hoc Committee on Waste Water and Storm Water Improvements, Affirmative Action Commission, Beach Commission, Charter Review Commission, Finance Review Committee, Harbor Walk Commission, Historic Cemetery Advisory Commission, Historic District Commission, Hospitality Commission, Tree and Open Space Commission, Zoning Board
- Requesting to implement designated parking for mopeds and scooters – J. Florez
- Amending Chapter 10.24, entitled “Parking Restrictions on Specific Streets,” to add that parking be prohibited on both sides of Parker Avenue (between Weld Court and Sylvan Street) and both sides of Clay Street (First Reading) – Continued from August 10, 2016
COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY MANAGER
- Action Item # 5566/16 re: 2016 Port Security Grant Award (w/accompanying resolution) – Continued from August 10, 2016
- Action #5567/16, re:Award of Bid #17-011 – Citywide Electrical Contract Services (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action #5568/16, re:Proposal Award #16-078 Engineering Services for Dam Inspections & Related Support (w/accompanying resolution)
ADJOURN AS COUNCIL AND CONVENE AS BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS
BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS
Class F-1 Daily Liquor Licenses, Oliver Hazard Perry, RI, d/b/a:
- Bowen’s Wharf Boat Show, September 15-18, 2016 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at Bowen’s Wharf and Marina
- Bowen’s Wharf Seafood Festival, October 15 & 16, 2016 from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. at Bowen’s Wharf
Laura C. Swistak
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)